[Artmurmur] Artmaking party after January 3 art murmur - year of the snake

Romy Ilano romy at snowyla.com
Mon Jan 6 12:33:23 PST 2014

* I pretty much enjoyed everything about it. I almost wouldn't change
anything about the night
The big takeaways was that people were into it, and they want to continue
the event so I'm scheduling another one for the February first friday at
the same time.

Things I enjoyed

* noisebridge folks showed up. we got a big roll of paper from noisebridge,
and that was very cool that we had more inter-hackerspace resource sharing.
I think the paper was taking up a lot of space in their space as well.

* people felt very free and un self conscious to make stuff or perform
music. there wasn't a lot of attention focused only on one speaker or
performer, it was more like several organic groups.

* the biohackers, other cool folks and companies donated free materials
without asking for anything in return. thank you! really appreciate it.

* very spontaneous - people just showed up with all sorts of setups and
weird ideas, like painting on records using cheap acrylic house paint
samples from Home Depot.

* complement, not compete with Oakland art murmur - i feel like trying to
do stuff inside sudoroom during the art murmur is a bad idea, and i kept
talking about it, so it was nice to finally prove my point. there are just
too many distractions, and forcing sudoroom to be as loud, colorful or full
of as many hot people to flirt with as art murmur is playing on our
weaknesses not building our strengths. the mood was completely chill
compared to the murmur, and focused less on sensory overload and more on
recovery from sensory overload

*Things that could have been done better*

   - No on-street promotion - we didn't have people standing on the street
   waving passers-by to enter the SudoRoom like we did during the last
   fundraising party. This could have brought lots of diverse, interesting
   traffic into the space.
   - what is this about? we had a hard time explaining what the event was
   about in one word*
   - No art MCs - We had advertised a live ART MC to act as a performer and
   walk around the space. we didn't really have this.
   - street vendors from oakland art murmur could have been pulled in to
   bring their stuff inside and continue their informal "exhibitions" -
   probably to more success and greater attention
   -  [I actually preferred that there were no ART MCs since the goal was
   to avoid as much as possible an audience staring blankly at someone on the
   stage... the lack of an MC/comedian/talker made for a very non-egotistical
   and collaborative evening, with people feeling unafraid to go play the
   instruments, go in front of people, or make art without feeling they were
   being started at too much]

Romy Ilano
romy at snowyla.com