[sudo-discuss] Is there a welding hackerspace support for Revolution Books in Oakland?

jacques revera jacquesrevera at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 13:01:36 PST 2018

What is "the robot?"

Great advice. Any ideas help. I am redesigning. Might just use welding
to secure bolts. This draft-version metal a-frame is welded at the
bottom cross bar but does not have to be. These need to be somewhat
indestructible. I have been making a-frames cheaply out of plywood &
door hinges for 5 years. When we put out posters which are
anti-american, pro-communist or promote Bob Avakian, some signs get
thrown in the street, stolen, broken violently or disassembled. With
the election of Trump and the rise of the alt-right, thin bike lock
cables get cut and the rest has increased to the point where it is
worth it to make a-frames out of metal and chain and lock. More
important, as fascism is being consolidated in America; anti-american,
pro-communist and posters that promote the new synthesis of Bob
Avakian are urgently needed to build resistance and drive out these
fascists.
http://revcom.us/avakian/ba-new-synthesis-expanded.html
We have been working with 30-40 a-frames at times promoting events at
Rev Books around Berkeley. This guerilla marketing has worked great.
(The a-frame size is dictated by our poster size of 17x44 piecing
together four BW 11x17 to make a poster cheaply - Using Teknabond
wallpaper wheat-paste to glue.) My new goal is 100 metal to expand in
Berkeley and around Oakland.

* Cheap n easy DIY: We are low-budget
* Indestructible: The angle iron gauge of draft-version adequate
* Disassembly-proof: If nut-and-bolts get used, they need to be
impossible to disassemble.
* Flat: surface plywood or sheet metal to glue posters onto
* Weight: as light as possible for easier handling and deployment
* Thickness: As thin as possible for stacking 100 in my dodge caravan
- and to take up less space in my storage
* Safe: no sharp edges or points
* Water proof: The draft-version has rusted. Need to avoid with paint
or galvanized steel
* Lock attachment: something to pass a large chain thru or a flexible
metal bar/clamp to wrap around trees and poles and padlock
* Locking: large chain or a flexible metal bar/clamp/shackle to wrap
around trees and poles and padlock
* Lip: A-frames get loaded on top of each other 20-30 to a stack with
posters rubbing and tearing. A lip all the way around would help -
like protective case provides to a cell phone screen at the edge. I am
thinking about using angle-iron half the size of draft doubling it up
- or just strips of plywood

This is all-volunteer and donation based for Revolution Books in
Berkeley http://www.revolutionbooks.org/ Thanks for the support!

Often when Joyce Carol Oates tears into T**** on Twitter, she uses
this image of our a-frame.
https://twitter.com/JoyceCarolOates/status/960350740538474497

Attachment shows perhaps the most prominent abortion provider in
America with the a-frame for his book event

Jacques

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 10:29 AM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:
> hol is right, welding might no be needed.
>
> the robot might be able to help cut out the pieces though...
> it has a plasma cutter.
>
> On Mon, 5 Feb 2018, hol at gaskill.com wrote:
>
>> Looking at that sign, it does not actually appear to be welded.  You
>> just need to drill 4 holes on the outer leg of each angle to mount the
>> wooden strip crossbraces to and one hole in the inner leg of each piece
>> to form the hinge.  All you need is a drill press, an angle grinder (to
>> notch out the top corners and to cut sticks of angle steel to length)
>> and a chop or skil saw for the wood.  You could probably use 2x4s which
>> are numerous around sudo room.  Old bed frames also make a great source
>> of cheap angle steel and you could make the cuts on the autohacksaw at
>> sudo room.
>> On 2018-02-04 12:08, Steve Berl wrote:
>>
>>> Department of Spontaneous Combustion has open studio where you can weld
>>> things with expert guidance.
>>>
>>> They are Tuesday evenings at M0xy off 23rd Ave. Oakland.
>>>
>>> https://www.facebook.com/events/512943699064394/
>>> or