Thanks for your interest in Sudo Room!
What is Sudoroom?
We're a free & open community space for hackers, artists, activists and YOU!
What's a hackerspace?
Watch this KQED Video Open Source Creativity: Hackerspaces:
"It's not easy to say what a hackerspace is exactly. You know it when you're in one, but they're all unique because people are so unique."
â€”Mitch Altman of Noisebridge
What does "sudo" mean?
Sudo is a software command that stands for "super user do". It's pronounced "sue-dough" or "sue-due".
Who can go there?
When Sudoroom is open, anybody can go. You don't have to be a member. All you have to do is respect our space, and respect others! Sudoroom is open most of the time.
When Sudoroom is closed, you need an access code. Members have access codes. This usually only happens very late at night, or early in the morning.
To check if we're open, you can call our phone number: (510) 858-7145
Much of our space is wheelchair-accessible via a large elevator. Some parts are wheelchair-inaccessible due to being narrow and cluttered.
Young children need to be supervised by a guardian. We don't have childcare available. Sorry!
Can I have an event there?
Maybe! We love events like these:
- For a good cause
- Local, community-based
- Disability accessible
- Free, sliding scale, pay what you can, donation-based, nobody turned away
We don't like events like these:
- Socially oppressive
- Corporate or military sponsored
To make an event:
- If you are a member - use do-ocracy:
- If you are not a member:
- If you anticipate any problems, reach out to the mailing list or to email@example.com.
- Get approval by sudoers. A good way to do this is at one of our weekly general meetings. Showing up in person is preferred. But if you can't make it you can ask for the action to happen over the sudo-discuss listserve, and maybe you can get approval over email.
How do I become a member?
- Introduce yourself in person or on the mailing list or at a meeting
- Pay some dues or do some work like cleaning, etc
- Create a wiki user page or email some contact info to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wait a short while
- Poof! You're a member!
Existing members can block you if they know you to be a violent, malicious or otherwise problematic person, but this is rare.
What does membership mean?
It means you can vote in consensus decisions, you have your own access code, and you can be alone in the space.
What's your legal structure?
It's still evolving. Here's some history:
- In November 2011, Sudoroom held its first meeting. We've held regular meetings ever since then.
- In early 2012, we agreed to an Articles of Association.
- In late 2013, we filed Articles of Incorporation with the state of California, and elected a Board of Directors
Can I store X at sudoroom
You can put a useful tool or some hacker ore neatly at sudoroom. Once you put something out a sudo and unless it says "do not hack on it" (and even then) there is no guarantee as to what will happen. You can however also rent a locker at sudo if you need private space, it is $25 per month.