Project List Workshopped in May 2013 Meetings
Please add your name next to projects that you are already working on or are interested in working on Food
- Cottage Food Law
- Shared Kitchens/Gardens
- Sudo Mate - Max & Ray
* Iced, carbonated, DELICIOUS mate soda beverage (exquisite, yum!)
* Sudo Beer (Subiir) - Morten & Marc
* Sudo Gravy (marinara sauce) - Ray - Last week's $40 went to Sudo Room rent. Sold all 4 pints (all that was left after dinner) Yay!
* Sudo Lunch / Grab-n-go option - ? [DOES NOT YET EXIST]
* Rusty's "Savior Bars"!
* Eddie's "Dope" Popcorn
* 3D printed stuff ** magnets - Jordan ** bike mounting accessories (easy to print, can adapt to any device mounting!) -hol ** jewelry ** on-demand ** other 3D printers
** 3d printed exoskeleton
** DIY handheld 3D printer pen based on a hot glue gun Cheap as hell
** "Captain crunch whistles" - Le Oficial Ray
** Bike beverage holders
* T-shirts - Dan Finlay (already an action item)
* Buttons (moar) ** Dependent upon logo
* LED cubes - hol??????????
* sliding-scale, voluntary (current)
* better advertisement
*--> Scrounging for MOAR
Flyers, put things around the area, galleries, cafes, etc.
Could be extremely effective
Could do a bike-about
better price-]points (concrete options beyond general $60 discussion)
will be informed by member survey (already an action item)
Do we accept BITCOIN????????????
Fix-it clinic style (especially electronics, etc)?
Could also do custom bike stuff, bike repair!
Specifically could get $ from burners
Not necessarily easy while in our current, less-developed state
Repair and sell, e.g. on Ebay - suggestion by Eddan
Re-use and sell or sell as services
Similar potential to http://spokeland.org/
DIY ISP ++
Laci Videmsky has offered to host a workshop on how to do this, like he and his business partner did with Ranch Wifi
electronics - (i won't be at the meeting tonight but if we come up with a few and order the components in bulk and package individually together, we can sell at events - Hol)
Home PCs for cheapz
Kits of kits :D ^.^ ^.^
Kits of 3D printers that create other kits
Tax-deductable Donations as a 501(c)3
Noisebridge and School Factory have offered to provide fiscal sponsorship
School Factory has a lot more experience than NB in fiscal sponsorship
Speaker events - of particular relevance to our projects
Covers? No covers?
- Burning man projects, Black Rock Arts
- Awesome opportunity to meld arts and the sciences, for fun, but also to communicate and make scientific knowledge accessible.
Most Important things for a Project
- Pitch video
- Depends on what you're doing, but it needs to be clean.
- "Cool" cause buzz, maybe viral marketing. Present images of the kind of thing going on.
- We host events, doing things that would show up in the space.
- Media ready, e.g. photos, logos, external website, social media, press release, blog roll.
- Work the connections, reddit, techcrunch, boingboing, gizmodo.
- Setting a goal, and an accurate budget. More about being clear.
- If you reach your goal, you're likely to exceed it 31%, shoot a bit lower!
- People need to like your cause, they can be involved and feel like they supported something substantial.
- Need some seeders, even encouraged!
- Gauge your goals based on your network, and how big it is.
- Build heuristics for how much you can get (e.g. $40 / person).
- Average is $75
- Need to have good perks (read ideas below)
- $25, $100 are the most important price points, in that order.
- Keep posting media after campaign launches --> you earn 81% more money!
- If you're working with a team, you raise 80% more money.
- Sponsor a square-foot-month (actually write their names on the square feet)!
- e.g. $25 gets you a 1 sq. ft. for 6 mo.
- Groups using the space for meetings, a big amount!
The main concept here is to get the word out, publicize, find opportunities for major support, while also bringing in a bit of money for the space. Should be fun, fairly easy, valuable to supporters and above all: do-able.
- Some useful little gadget
- "Hacking is Not a Crime"
- "This Machine Kills Fascists"
- Official seal / support sticker (e.g. like "police support" stickers that get you out of traffic tickets)
- Some sort of web hosting / application service.
- Something cute like a "free consultation"
- Personalize services to a range of skills members have.