During the January 30th general meeting, Vicky started a conversation on using hand signals during meetings as a way to rank speaker order and mark shifts between the topic at hand (*sad trombone*) and the conversation's meta-process. This page is for you, yes you, to refine and add to before submitting a formalesque proposal to the rest of Sudo Room!
TWO IMPORTANT THINGS:
- Make any revisions/proposals you'd like.
- SIGN UP for future announcements in the "Keep me informed!" section!
Keep me informed!
These here are people working on or generally interested the proposal. If the feeling's right, Vicky will organize a meet-up or email chain to help move the proposal forward.
Concepts and Filosfeez
- Yeah, man, like, order and not speaking over each other and shit. I am intrigued by the Occupy "feelings" signals, but am a bit wary that doing something like this in Sudo Room will make meetings painfully long. Do other people know of other concepts for bringing order to decision-making segments of group meetings/councils like ours? Vicky (talk) 04:48, 3 February 2013 (UTC)
Vicky's cooperative housing example
The example I brought up were signals from my old consensus-run housing cooperative. Imagine the following symbols as being formed by hands. They are described in descending order of priority:
(^) Point of Process
The conversation is getting out of the facilitator's facilitation; An aspect of the Articles of Association is relevant to the conversation and should be mentioned; etc.
(! ) Point of Information
You know a fact about something and bring it up in order to clarify the conversation; etc.
Wait, what does that mean? Could you clarify what you mean? etc.
(=) Direct Response
I have a comment that directly clarifies a comment, point of information or point of process, or answers a question.
blah blah point of view or general comment.
The file over yonder represents the typical signage used during Occupy. --->
- Vicky will round you up.
- We will spread the hand signals idea around as a Sudo Room social meme, subliminally convincing everyone of how great they are.
- We will make sketches of our agreed-upon hand signals, and chose a Wednesday meeting to propose them to.