Meeting Notes 2015-08-26
NOTE: Whoever deletes last weeks notes before next weeks meeting, could you please leave the notes here until the beginning of next week? Just put them at the bottom, or at least link to them. It's often convenient to access the most recent notes this way.
Sudoroom Meeting August 26, 2015
Icebreaker / captcha
Why aren't you helping the turtle?
- Is this a logo joke? - http://turtleacademy.com/
- yar. too burnt out to help the turtle
- bill. screenwrapping is wrong
- matthew. aversion, not getting along with him
- sigma. i'd like to help the teenage mutant ninjas
- liz. turtles are cute. be nice because they bite and are diseased. wash your hands.
- marc. why should i have to do it? why aren't you helping it?
- it's a reference to a turing test from bladerunner
- yar: there's also an ipv6 test with a turtle, but that's less high stakes. for now.
- max. nothing positive to say about turtles. not even good amphibians (confused with tortoises)
- matt. my tortoise was killed by a turtle :(
- brendan. i am the turtle, i've given up
- robb. i admire turtles. they always have a safe place
- yar: not in an oil spill :(
- kelly. one time i put a turtle in my mom's clothes.
- ffaust: didn't know; request for more info to answer question
- lesley. I had pet tortoises as a child. One of them bit me.
leon is now a member!
- Would you like to introduce yourself: My name is Brendan came from Philadelfia to learn/do programming for black lives matter activism
- how'd you find sudo? beautifully chaotic. friend sent a link
- Why do you want to be a sudo room member? Good community, good pepole, what to stay connected
- What do you want to hack or learn at sudo room? Radio stuff
- What do you want to share with or teach at sudo room? dancing. programmatic dancing
- What's your plan to abolish sexual violence, police brutality and white supremacy? in 10 words or less: Work with people who are doing it and not fuck up myself
- What's your plan to end the anthropocene extinction, world hunger, global warming and global inequality? in 10 words or less: kidnap donald trump, make friends with the volcano god
- What's your plan to ensure freedom and privacy of communication for all? in 10 words or less: to disband the U.S. government
- What do you know about sudo room's values? That it is based on open source, helping each other, do what you can but in a collective way
- What do you know about sudo room's history? it was started a year or two ago, this is a new space as of a few months, cool people are involved
- What do you know about the Omni Commons' statement of solidarity? not much, i haven't read it, i'm sure it exists, i'm sure it's awesome
- What do you know about the Omni Commons' safer space policy? also haven't read it, but omni is a safe place/space and needs to remain so by people calling people out and shit and going through the conflict resolution process
- Have you ever been banned from a hackerspace or any other collective? nope
- Are you a cop? A federal agent? An undercover cop? An undercover cat? nope
- What makes you happy? music & dancing
- Why didn't you apply sooner? Tried last week, but you weren't paying attention. Seemed so formal, but ... I want a keycard
- 8/5 - 9/2 ben sigma - pondering ends next week
- 8/12 - 9/9 captain morgan - pondering ends in 2 weeks
Board members need physical addresses
- If you haven't already, please message Kyle (email@example.com) with your mailing address
- Lesley Bell - already did
- Scott Edmonds
- Marc Juul (done)
- Marina Kukso
- Matt Senate
- Others have already provided addresses
- LOTS more to do. physical labor every day.
- big list: https://omnicommons.org/wiki/ToFix
- organize & tidy things around sudoroom
- need dedicated space for lumber, big metal, etc
- need paper towle dispenser in hallway
- need more conduit, less extension cords
- hang conduit from the ceiling? no, needs to be attached every 8 feet. d'oh
- or cut open the floor
- korl wanted to have a giant float inside sudoroom
- matt wants to build a wiki house. alternatively, modular box-based open source construction kit
- yar: but we can't even make rent...
We need a business license to prove that we are sudo room.
- person who initially registered it is no longer involved with sudoroom and is not answering emails
- expires November 14 6pm
- Godaddy won't give it to us unless we have a business license
- but then we'd have to pay taxes
- but that's not so bad
- marc will just do it
- Liberation Ministries applied to be an Omni member collective: https://omnicommons.org/pipermail/consensus/2015-August/thread.html#559
- juul doesn't like it
- ffaust wants it to include planetary magick and ritual ceremonial enochian invokations demonstrations and tutorials
- juul: oh can we hang a petrified horse penis in the ballroom?! that'd be awesome
- ffaust thinks this would be misleading unless we had a group participation sexual event (religious in nature or not) in the ballroom at least biannually if not quarterly (niiiice that it is in the *ball*room)
hm, the petrified horse penis isn't seen as an erotic symbol in asatru
- my error. i was wondering, considering the petrified part.
- lesley: ias long as we don't discriminate against any such groups (as long as they are in line with our values) why not?
- discussion of their membership model - does everyone get a key? maybe similar to baps
- marc: i object to a person preaching to a bunch of people about religion
- bill: do they recognize kopimism?
- brendan: but it's not to everyone right?
- lesley: BAPS already has bible & koran reading classes. we've already had religious ceremonies. haitian day of the dead.
- sigma: what about the perspective of christianity being oppressive & exploitive?
- ffaust make it own up to & answer for it somehow. no grandfathering in when grandpa is a pedophile, liar, murderer, etc
- brendan: many religions do, and many christian movements..
- robb: we should only allow feminine dominated religion
- ffaust fully disagrees with this. but is female. hmmm.
- yar: cheryl is a woman...
- robb: having events and classes is different than having a member collective specifically about religion
- ffaust true
- max: are we against that? in our charter?
- matt reads omni safer space policy: A primary goal of The Omni is to be inclusive of the largest number of contributors, with the most varied and diverse backgrounds possible. As such, we are committed to providing a friendly, safe and welcoming environment for all, especially with regard to race, gender, sexual orientation, ability, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and religion (or lack thereof).
- brendan: are we gonna be arbiters of religion here? stifling expression & freedom
- ffaust do people who hold a religious belief decrease the safety of the space for people who don't? does this change if they do or do not talk about their beliefs publicly? does it change if they do or do not engage in openly religion-motivated actions?
- robb: i thought we were anarchists
- yar: i thought we were authoritarian situationists
- matt: i thought we were reformist communists
- marc: i think baps has more anarchists than sudoroom
- yar: i think food not bombs is more anarchist than baps. so there
- bill: even if they're queer & trans friendly, they may still be dogmatic. needs more investigation.
- marc: there's a difference between practicing your religion privately and having a dedicated space for it
- ffaust could the space be for use by more than one philosophy/religion etc
- yar: it's the ballroom. it can still be used by anything and anyone
- robb: may alienate muslims?(ffaust - why?)
- matt: people reacting with trauma, doesn't do justice to applicant. talk carefully instead of fighting. need to respond with love. high stakes for everyone. this is a "make or break" deal for a lot of people. seriously.
- ffaust meaning what? i for one am seriously in favor of being able to host religious events; do not think a particular church ought to officially be a member of the collective (no -- very bad); and do not think religion *per se* ought to be considered antithetical to anarchy, or atheism. holy is holy. thinking beings are prerequisite of course
- cheryl will be at the delegates meeting tomorrow
- yar: applying to be a member collective is like proposing marriage. so take us on a few dates first
- ffaust ^ ^ ^ ^ yes
.........| | | | yes!
- Last time we had a chance at this, we had an Unconference at the old building!
- Need to sit down and do real planning and visioning work with a mass group of Omni Commons folx!
- Marc went to the first planning meeting, had a big problem with the way the meeting was run.
- A lot of arbitrary, non-agreed activities, put things on pieces of paper, put it on the wall,
- groups: https://omnicommons.org/wiki/Event:2015/08/16_Becoming_Omni#groups
- very long conversation which unfortunately was not recorded
- marc: it was top-down facilitation without consent
- matt: you didn't go to the second half, in which participants formed working groups and took control
- robb: it was mostly non-members
- yar: no, read the list from the notes! also, what's this insider-outsider mentality? if someone's not a member that's because we've failed to create the structure for them. this is a bug, not a feature. we want to scale! need to!
Giving Brendan a keycard
- We want to give Brendan a keycard before their pondering is over. Won't make them a member but they can come in and work on stuff
- Marc ran around the building and got a quorum of members to consent to this. yay