Meeting Notes 2016-01-27
Sudoroom Meeting Wednesday January 27, 2016
name, pronoun, icebreaker q: cyberpunk or steampunk?
- cyber-juul: his excellency / that rotten bastard, why not both?
- yar: punky brewster
- jake: cyber.wizard
- corey: neither. cypherpunk
- Matt: he/him, steampunk (in denial)
- Daniel: hi/him, cyberpunk
- Steven: he/him, both! equally, together (combined).
- Remote-Jenny: she/her, Firepunk.
- Omni Volunteer Fair, Saturday March 12. Please show up and make use of all the free labor who's bound to show up
- anticapitalist hackathon February 5-7th @ Noisbridge (SF)
- NEVER UNDERESTIMATE RADICAL VISION
- ^^ that's not an announcement, it's an imperative
- 10 ms of silence for Marvin Minsky
- procapitalist hackathon: every day from 9 to 9 at 1 infinite loop drive
- yar does proclaim something something
- murmers of agreement from the crowd
- juul hereby proclaims that the sudo/ccl fridge shall henceforth be known as: The snackerspace +1
- juul nails the proclamation to the door to cyberspace
- juul: shall we send an envoy to the rat conglomeration to attempt a diplomatic solution?
- yar forms a multinational conglomerate
- SPEAK IN CAPITALS
- MINSK COPENHAGEN KATHMANDU SINGAPORE SYDNEY TALINN (if you know what I mean)
- We have a new bank account with Western Fed. Jenny and Matt are signers.
- Stripe has been switched over, Paypal imminently.
- Current Balances:
- Western Acct: $1,594.64
- Stripe: $486.18
- PayPal: $860.39
- Total current assets: $2,941.21 (+ ~1.5 BTC)
- Pending Expenses:
- Feb. Rent: $2000
- Dec. Utilities: $414.57
- Jan. Utilities: $371.65
- Total pending expenses: $2786.22
- yar: do we have a bank account with a card yet? need to pay digitalocean again soon
- jenny: don't think i have the digitalocean login.
- yar: where should i send it? do we have a sudo passpack?
- never mind, i added matt's
- juul: THANKS FOR DOING ALL THE MONEY STUFF!! \o/
wrought: Juul -- still want to sell the coin? juul: yep yep
yar: David Wee wants to be a member, can't do Wednesdays. How do we deal with this problem? Also, they filled out the online form and were confused when this wasn't acted on. Should we remove this form? I think it only misleads people and gives them false expectations. juul: yes let's remove form
- PROMPT: There are no wrong answers
- Would you like to very briefly introduce yourself?
- moved here a few years ago, did tech policy activism, now learning how to program
- What brings you to sudo room?
- awesome space. april brought me here before i even moved here. glad these spaces exist
- What do you want to hack or learn at sudo room (if you know)?
- lots of projects, idk when i'll find time. radio transmitter.
- What do you want to share or teach at sudo room (if you know)?
- [yar sucks at taking notes]
- What's your plan to abolish sexual violence, police brutality and white supremacy? in 10 words or less
- no idea. that's a lot.
- What's your plan to end the anthropocene extinction, world hunger, global warming and global inequality? in 10 words or less
- global democracy, better systems of governance, investment in sustainable energy. remake financial system
- What's your plan to ensure freedom and privacy of communication for all? in 10 words or less
- privacy for the weak, transparency for the powerful
- expectations. problem?
- don't think so
- Have you ever been banned, asked to take a break, or similar, from a hackerspace or any other collective?
- What are the best ways to contact you?
- yar has email
- What is your schedule like? Do you have particular times that you think you'll be around? You should check out our regular events!
- late at night & weekends
- Explain the next steps in the membership process and what they should expect
- Charley is now a member
- nathan & Nick have another week of pondering
- it's broken. people apply & don't even come back.
- is applying to be an Omni member collective!
- juul replies in the form of interpretive dance: \o/ -o/ -o- ~o~ /o\
There is no such thing as a free hug. That would violate the laws of thermodynamics. You can't win, you can't get even, you can't get out of the game--then you die. Translation: You can't get free hugs, you can't even trade hugs evenly, you can't stop the pursuit of free hugs--then you die.
What about a free as in freedom hug? Libre but not gratis