Mesh/08 Aug 2017
Revision as of 14:38, 16 August 2017 by Juul (Created page with "** The filing fee for organizations expecting to make over $10K is $850 - for orgs making less than $10K on average over 4 years or expected, the filing fee is $400. Jenny has...")
- The filing fee for organizations expecting to make over $10K is $850 - for orgs making less than $10K on average over 4 years or expected, the filing fee is $400. Jenny has started the application some months ago; it lives in the sudo mesh google drive 'Legal' subfolder here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4_Q7DQvNFT-MWx5bkI5MXVUYkU . We can file a 1023-EZ application for $275 if we can cogently say we don't expect to make more than $50K in gross annual receipts in the next 3 years. The $400 fee for a full 1023 application denoting gross receipts of less than $10K/year for 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 seems our best bet.
- Because it has been significantly more than 27 months from sudo mesh's date of incorporation, we will most likely only be granted exemption from the date of our application submission, rather than retroactively to date of incorporation. This does not mean much as we have had few (if any) donations >$250 in any given year and have received no request for a letter denoting a donor's tax-deductible donations.
- Proposal: In a few years, the dormant OOC org will have a cleaner record (since the IRS only takes most recent 4 years into account) and may then be more appealing / useful for another purpose. It's essentially a future asset, or otherwise a backup plan in the event our own 501c3 application gets held up before we receive significant grant funding. It would be a quick & simple matter to change the name, board and bylaws of the OOC org at any time. I propose we move forward with filing our own 501c3 application, and denote the EIN of both orgs as the possible recipients in our grant application to Mozilla/NSF (contingent on being granted exemption by the time the funds are to be released). In the event we are not granted exemption by the time 501c3 status is needed, I propose we then take over the OOC org.
- consenso sez yes
- if you'd like to help with the application and/or new bylaws, ping the list or firstname.lastname@example.org
hurricane electric server space
- rcsheets has space at hurricane electric and is willing to share - not worried about dmca, but slightly worried about power usage
- need to analyze our power usage