Mesh/2 October 2018
People's Open Network Weekly Meeting - 2 October 2018 7:30pm-9pm
- 1 Agenda
- 2 Introductions
- 3 Meeting Roles
- 4 Check in on previous action items
- 5 Updates & Reportbacks
- 6 Next Sunday
- 7 Discussion: What should our internal project proposals look like?
- 8 Action Items
- 9 Breakout Groups
- 10 Last Meeting Notes
- 11 End of Meeting
- Introductions and Meeting Roles (10 mins)
- Check in on previous action items (5 mins)
- Updates & Reportbacks (20 mins)
- Next Sunday (5 mins)
- Discussion: What should our internal project proposals look like? (15 mins)
- Action Items (5 mins)
- Breakout Groups
Introduce yourself: Name; Preferred Pronoun; Icebreaker Response; BRIEF Announcements
- Icebreaker question: What is your favorite gift to give and/or receive?
- grant - he/they - favorite gift to give or receive is one that is made by hand
- benny/jenny - it's grant's birthday!
- jenny - maybe sunday we should have a joint birthday party
- robb - he/him - favorite gift is one found
- jon - he/him - favorite gift to give/receive is knowledge
- seth - he/they - favorite gift to receive is cashews/walnuts
- jenny - she/her - favorite gift to give/receive is books, specifically ursula le guinn novels. i also give a lot of 5th sacred thing (starhawk). (bay area separated from the resit of california -- city of refuge follow up).
- benny - he/him - favorite gift to give/receive - little blank hand-sown books
- meshed granny squares at the next BYOI !!!
- scott - he/him -i like to give books or food, or i used to do a lot of jewelry, but that's hard because it takes time and i get anxious
- martin - he - usually i like to gift people with my presence--this is my gift to you--you're all welcome. mostly i like to receive things that are hand-crafted and that tell a story about the person. simple, not expensive, but a lot of care.
- mai - she/they - either an unexpected food gift or a book that I like or that the other person would really be into
- ben (eenblam) - he/they - i like getting chocolate. i like buying chocolate for other people too i guess, but maybe that's because i get to buy myself chocolate. (usually like dark; sea salt is fun)
- Facilitator/s: Jenny
- Stacktaker: Benny
- Notetaker/s: Benny, robb
- URL of this pad: https://peoplesopen.net/notes
Check in on previous action items
Check previous meeting minutes at https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Minutes and past action items below:
- check in with nic about whether we can use the 2 tix interchangeably over the 3 days - juul
- jenny checked and yes, only jenny + juul used it.
- scott - we tried to figure it out but didn't know what to do.
- find someone who's happy to climb towers to mount radio on richmond tower (ben's friend?)
- moving to next week (no eenblam)
- mebbe scott
- submit budget request for non-penetrating roof mounts - grant? juul?
- grant - yes, thought we should order 2x roof mounts
- scott - was talking with robb last week and we think we can make them for way cheaper
- jenny - other thing grant submitted was slipmat
- grant - ya should buy those
- breakout sesh after / notes below
- look at neighborly app and apply (benny)
- applied! as a service provider
- explore what a map of the mesh would look like (mai)
- mai - punt 2 weeks and work with jenny
- think about our communications systems -- make email list and rocket chat more present (benny)
- punted to next week
Updates & Reportbacks
Priority bugs we need help with are located at: http://peoplesopen.net/helpwanted - For a high-level overview of recent Github activity, see the Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/r9l5ouQ4/3b2eecd83bb9e7a57a339cf1ee038288/sudo-mesh-github-repos
- benny - fixed bug with exitnode babeld restart script -- we still have regular outages (see http://peoplesopen.net/monitor), but now it takes just a few seconds instead of hours before all the nodes come back online
- benny - at the last software wg we researched this babeld bug some more
- grant - had some discussion with jorrit about which exitnode ips to include in the firmware -- one of the exitnodes in the list receives connections but does not provide any mesh routes. we also want to deprecate psychz.
- propose hosting a new exit node at the internet archive
- grant - there's a firmware rebuild issue
- grant - now travis pushes back to builds.sudomesh.org so now we're doing nightly builds!
- ben - is there an easy way to push a stable release?
- grant - no it's still manual
Node Mounts & Outreach
- reed bros - need help understanding how to use air os on the mesh. started debugging this at last sunday's office hours w/ juul. still more to figure out.
- omni rooftop (air fiber! and omni rocket!)
- airfiber still needs ground cable!
- time to e-mail paxio?! eenblam
- benny: anybody know what LOLspace's status is?
- robb - originally we wanted to put a receiver in the village, but then we ran out of time and were unsure about the security of the receiver
- jenny - village site was slated to move by mid november because of a seismic thing, but that's being pushed to mid-january, and the city is promising to provide village with available properties to move to by mid-october. Recently the village has lost a lot of equipment -- their shower truck was dismantled, solar panels stolen...
- robb - someone at here nor there camp has a solar panel and is able to run his laptop all night. might be able to put a pole on his van. may involve puttin a telescoping pole on top of david and nicki's. i'm looking into it.
- jenny - we should finish dave and nicki's.
- grant - recommend putting up an omni antenna if you go back and spend time there.
- eenblam - also recommend putting an omni on jeff's.
Communications & Events
Comms Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/f3ugMPNU/94033ee6c2cef93fc1b1637b727c902a/sudo-mesh-communications // Events Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/Y3XfDK85/2b6fcb4fa92788609692a53a96fb4614/peoples-open-events
- seth wrote a newsletter draft: https://peoplesopen.net/pad/p/pon-newsletter-2018-04
- ben: i have pictures
- mai: me too--also i've been meaning to do the handshake press release
- handshake press release: mai and jenny are working on it - join! - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-nmocVa7zTuLkWniObF2jikGoL5MI8MD7n2InSDVbwk/edit
- kalw article: http://www.kalw.org/post/people-s-open-net-internet-people-people#stream/0
- Issue with PON networks - monopolized by major service providers
- jon - researching landlord rights re: ISP provider availability to their renters. focused on SF. oakland wouldnt be protected under their ordinance. oakland's would ideally provide support for peer-to-peer networks and definition of what a communication service provider is. . under SF police code (
- discussion about ordinance: https://sfgov.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=2863893&GUID=E010FDC6-4024-4BA7-B282-C0F9DE32D9F4
- eenblam - monkey brains had something on their website saying that if your landlord wouldn't let you install, the ordinance would enable them to install. but, last i checked, i couldnt find the wording on the website anymore.
- grant - in oakland is there anything that says you can or cannot put anything on your apartment building?
- jon - maybe need to update the building codes. right now every apartment has to have a mandatory phone jack. maybe should change to mandatory cat 6.
Internal Logistics / Finance
Internal Logistics & Bureaucracy Trello: https://trello.com/invite/b/LzVQlW3X/1bb8bd543c8633688175365d2554c2c2/internal-logistics-bureaucracy-brainstorms
- Jenny and Benny issued reimbursements for everyone who requested it
- Purchasing requests:
- Grant clarified the roofmount equipment needs. were coonfused about laser gun (namely why and why this model which is ~$200 more than other similar models?)
- ben - if we can get professional google earth, we'd get lidar data from that.
- grant - i got some wirless wires -- supposedly can put openwrt on them
We try to arrange a rooftop node mount every Sunday afternoon. Ongoing spreadsheet is located at: https://peoplesopen.net/sundays
- Next Sunday's mount:
- make prototype non-penetrating roof mount (lead by scott and robb)
- birthday party!
We host office hours every Sunday from 1-2pm in Sudo Room. To sign up for a shift, fill in your name here: https://ethercalc.org/byoi_office_hours
- Next Sunday's volunteer:
- Notes from this past Sunday's session:
Discussion: What should our internal project proposals look like?
- 1) Read bengo and jorrit's comments on loomio (https://www.loomio.org/d/YuC1wIps/how-we-make-decisions/8) and (https://www.loomio.org/d/YuC1wIps/how-we-make-decisions/11)
- 2) Discuss
- Going to start on loomio (ran out of time to discuss in person this week)
- find someone who's happy to climb towers to mount radio on richmond tower (ben's friend?)
- scott doesn't mind the heights
- see if we got a neighborly app receipt and put in google drive (benny)
- schedule psychz deprecation session with juul (benny)
- buy omni antennas (grant)
- e-mail paxio (juul)
- add ISOC proposal process to loomio discussion below (jenny)
- new loomio thread for defining project proposal template (benny)
At the end of the meeting, break out into small groups to hack on or discuss specific topics.
- rooftop mounts
- airfiber + mesh
- more landlord/ISP ordinance chats
Last Meeting Notes
End of Meeting
- please archive these meeting notes by copying the entire pad contents onto the sudomesh wiki with the correct date format: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/DD_MM_YYYY
- then please erase the contents of this pad
- then please cut & paste a blank template from here: https://sudoroom.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Mesh/Mesh_Meeting_Notes_Template&action=edit
- previous meeting notes are archived here: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Minutes