Difference between revisions of "Mesh/MTP2018"
|Line 2:||Line 2:|
= '''Mesh the Planet! 2018 Unconference''' =
= '''Mesh the Planet! 2018 Unconference''' =
As a followup to the Internet Archive's [Decentralized Web Summit https://decentralizedweb.net
As a followup to the Internet Archive's [Decentralized Web Summithttps://decentralizedweb.nettaking place July 31 - August 3rd, members of [[Mesh|Sudo Mesh]] will be hosting an unconference to bring together the decentralized internets community in the shared spirit of meshing the planet!
Revision as of 17:51, 15 July 2018
Mesh the Planet! 2018 Unconference
As a followup to the Internet Archive's [Decentralized Web Summit](https://decentralizedweb.net) taking place July 31 - August 3rd, members of Sudo Mesh will be hosting an unconference to bring together the decentralized internets community in the shared spirit of meshing the planet!
- 1 Mesh the Planet! 2018 Unconference
- 2 Agenda
- 2.1 11:30 - 12 pm Sign-in
- 2.2 12 - 12:30pm Introduction
- 2.3 12:30 - 2pm Lightning talks/discussions
- 2.4 2pm - 2:15pm Break
- 2.5 2:15 - 2:45 Structured Brainstorm with Sticky Notes
- 2.6 2:30pm - 5:30pm: HACKATHON
- 2.7 5:30pm - 6pm Demos
- 2.8 6pm - Late Evening funtimes
- 3 Inspiration
PLANNING NOTES (not for public wiki)
- What: An unconference / hackathon around building and deploying the decentralized web
- When: Saturday, August 4th, 11:30 - 6pm
- Where: The Omni Commons' Sudo Room and/or its ballroom, located @ 4799 Shattuck Ave, Oakland, CA
- Roughly half a mile north of the MacArthur BART station, ~20 mins from San Francisco
- LINK TO EVENTBRITE HERE
(Each role needs multiple volunteers. Add your name to anything you are wiling to do!)
- Front desk - Mai,
- MCs - Mai,
- Lightning talk facilitators - Mai?, Benny,
- Hackathon hardware facilitators -
- Food - Scott/nanomonkey,
- Setup - Jenny, Benny
- Cleanup - Jenny,
- Collaborative session notes taken at https://peoplesopen.net/pad/p/SESSION__NAME
- Notes posted to this wiki in the corresponding agenda lines below, or use the format: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/MTP2018/SESSION_NAME
- Livestream for remote participation?
See Aspiration Tech's Materials Shopping List
- 3" x 5" un-ruled stickie notes, 1 pad per about 5 participants (Jenny will buy)
- Fine point Sharpie markers (Jenny will buy)
- 1/4" color dots for voting (in office)
- Movable walls! (in ballroom)
- Infinity coffee, snacks, and hydrating beverages
- Tables and chairs
- Power strips
- Extension cords
- External monitors
- Mesh testbeds - Sudo Mesh, Toronto Mesh, others?
- Cable crimping table - Cat5 cable, crimpers,
- Swag table - buttons, stickers, pins, zines, tshirts etc!
- Sign-in sheet / pens
- BYOI / PON schwag
- Several easel pads - https://www.staples.com/Easel-Pads/cat_CL140915 (pods can use these to write down the list of presenters)
- 11:30 - 12:00 pm — Sign in/lunch
- 12:00 - 12:30 pm — Introduction
- 12:30 - 02:00 pm — Lightening talks/discussions
- 02:00 - 02:15 pm — Break
- 02:15 - 02:45 pm — Structured Brainstorm
- 02:45 - 05:30 pm — Hackathon
- 05:30 - 06:00 pm — Demos
- 06:00 - Late — Evening fun timez
11:30 - 12 pm Sign-in
12 - 12:30pm Introduction
- Welcome to BYOI/Dweb unconference: review agenda, [code of conduct](https://omnicommons.org/wiki/Safer_Space_Policy)
- Introduction to the Omni (Jenny?)
- Overview of mesh networks and People's Open Network (needs volunteer)
12:30 - 2pm Lightning talks/discussions
- For the first 1.5 hours we'll do five-minute lightning talks. This is an opportunity to get on a soap box or facilitate a discussion for 5 minutes about whatever the hell you want. We're modeling this after the [lostlevels http://lostlevels.net/] unconference.
- Depending on how many people attend, there will be a different number of simultaneous presentation pods. We need one pod per 15 presenters. This way each pod will finish presenting after about 15 presentations * (5 min presentation + 1 min setup) = 1.5 hrs
- A presentation pod consists of:
- 1 timekeeper (needs a volunteer)
- A bunch of presenters
- Probably some audience members who are not going to present
- A space in which to present (probably just a quadrant of the ballroom, unless it gets too noisy. no projection or amplification.)
- The timekeeper is extremely important! Every pod needs its own timekeeper.
- The responsibilities of the timekeeper are:
- Start a 5 minute timer when a presentation begins
- Give the presenter a warning when they have only 1 minute left
- Congratulations! You have been selected to present at Mesh the Planet 2018! Competition was fierce, but your proposal was exquisite. Now's your chance:
- You will have 5 minutes to present about anything you want *or* 10 minutes to facilitate a discussion about anything you want
- Find a facilitator with an easel pad and tell them your (pseudo)name and the title of your presentation / discussion. They will write both down on the easel pad.
- The facilitator may ask you to find a different facilitator if their easel pad is already filled up.
- Don't wander too far! When it's your turn to present, the facilitator will call your name out.
- The facilitator will give you a visual warning when you have only 1 minute left, and when your time has run out.
- Please be courteous and get off the soapbox when your time is up so we can move on to the next presentation.
The Audience Members
- When you are not presenting, you are an audience member! Your responsibilities are:
- Pay attention to your peers!
- Move to a different pod if you are bored
- Applaud enthusiastically when the presentation is over
2pm - 2:15pm Break
2:15 - 2:45 Structured Brainstorm with Sticky Notes
- 3 min - Writing by yourself (as many ideas as possible)
- 10 min - Posting notes to wall + organizing notes into related groups
- 15 min - Sharing out what groups of ideas developed / deciding what to hack on in remaining time
2:30pm - 5:30pm: HACKATHON
Deploying mesh services live to People's Open Network!
- We'll have a stack of Home Nodes (WD MyNet routers) and NAS devices and can spend the day deploying various services and building our own internet!
5:30pm - 6pm Demos
- Show off what you hacked on in Sudo Room
6pm - Late Evening funtimes
- Food? Karaoke? Dance party??