Jump to navigation Jump to search
PCR tube holder
PCR tube dimensions
- Height: 20.81 (Â± 0.07) to 20.93 (Â± 0.08) mm
- Diameter: 5.95 (Â± 0.04) to 6.07 (Â± 0.03) mm
Note that many PCR machines have PCR tube holes that are much shallower than the height of a PCR tube.
The curvature/slant of the bottom runs to about half-way up the tube.
Aluminum has a high thermal conductivity and is easy to machine. Adding a chunk of metal will slow temperature change. This is not desirable for rapid cycling, but it will make it easier to ensure that the temperature at the temperature probe and the temperature in the PCR tubes is the same.
Using a holed sheet of metal and air heating/cooling would be cheaper but may be more difficult to control accurately.
- 1 cm x 4 cm x 6 feet for $35 (enough for 45 4x4 cm tube holders)
- 1 cm x 4 cm x 6 feet for $44 (enough for 36 5x5 cm tube holders)
- 1 cm x 2.5 cm x 6 feet for $23
Existing DIY cyclers
- lightbulb pcr
- Arduino PCR
- griessen pcr
- laser-heated petri dish PCR
- A portable battery-operated chip thermocycler based on induction heating