Jump to navigation Jump to search
Revision as of 01:51, 20 February 2014 by Yar (delete the obviously redundant stuff, the rest should be merged later)
Current Critical Momentum
We are now:
- Forging a Compact.
We made headway with:
- How we make decisions.
- Developing our Governance Structure
- How we create income.
- How we define membership.
- We have a room, are seeking more room?
As per discussions and polling, we are moving toward these steps:
- August 10th - Get bank account
- August 24th - Expand membership, get a sense of paying members
- August 31st - Get first payment
- September 3rd - Rent for Space
- Conduct research on other hackerspaces, exploring their models of community, governance and funding.
- Create a list of open knowledge ecosystem organizations in the Bay Area.
- Examine potential tax structures
Needs to be Updated
- To found a creative community hacker space in the East Bay, specifically in Oakland, CA.
- Establish a platform and space committed to:
- Citizen science
- Democratic Culture
- Access to Knowledge
- Freedom to Connect
- Non-technical (humanities, social science, the environment/ environmental justice, arts, crafts, all the squishy stuff!) and technical knowledge (including transitions and bridges between the two) --
- the useful arts & sciences?
- information, data, knowledge, wisdom?
- memes, genes, bits, and atoms?
- Non-technical knowledge includes but is not limited to expertise in fields or disciplines that can be largely independent of technology. Also includes non-academic realms of knowledge.
- Digital/Online Citizenship - Netizen Rights & Freedoms
- Doing stuff to make our community openly accessible.
- ...to do something more with digital and network technology
- Environmental sustainability
- Education and mentorship
- Community engagement
- Public access
- To become a center for active hacking projects but also a destination where speakers on the areas listed above may be hosted, and where folks may go for skill sharing classes
- Build a community and group of members, grow our ideas together, and open a space before the end of 2012.
- Create online presence and communications infrastructure
- Hold weekly meetup / salon.
- Collect membership dues to start building a budget as a Voluntary [membership] Association.
- Apply to relevant grants, fellowships, and various funding opportunities.
- Read (and contribute to) our list of projects to see (and inform) what kinds of projects we will be able to do in this space! You can also see projects we've featured on our website.