"Technology is the campfire around which we tell our stories." - Laurie Anderson
"Storytelling reveals meaning without committing the error of defining it." -Hannah Arendt
"To define is to kill. To suggest is to create." -StÃ©phane MallarmÃ©
I'm Jenny Ryan, an incorrigibly nomadic cyberanthropologist gone gonzo. I'm interested in and actively engaged with emerging movements rooted in the shared struggle to reclaim the commons, create public spheres through the cultivation of open spaces, and enable direct democracy through principles of federation and open source or Read/Write culture. Professionally, I'm an academia dropout working principally at the intersection of communication, technology, and grassroots social justice organizing through my work with Omni Commons, where I tend to whatever fires need tending to (with a hefty dose of autodidactic training in nonprofit law and accounting), the Peoples Open Network (a community-owned and -operated wireless network based in the East Bay), and Sudo Room, an activist hackerspace in Oakland, CA. In my spare time, I work on various collaborative projects (see below), write poetry, roll around in variably fertile and toxic soil, and serve as a connector of aligned humans, groups and projects.
Omni Commons - A community-owned and collectively-operated space for radical art, tech, and social justice organizing in Oakland, CA.
sudo mesh - Building a decentralized, libre wireless network in the East Bay!
Sudo Room - Radical, inclusive hackerspace in the East Bay. Hacking the planet since 2011!
The Pyre - A collaborative, open source project to COLLATe utf8mb4_unicode_ci DIY toolkit for building resilient communities.
Projects On Hold
- Mycelia - Mycelia is a decentralized documentation and inventory tool, enabling individuals and communities to self-organize their own projects and associated data while also networking their object and skill inventories with other creative spaces, communities and individuals. Mycelia provides object, project and skill matchmaking for collaborative and grassroots endeavors.
- Cryptoparty - Every third Sunday of the month, we gather at Sudo Room to learn about and teach each other how to use digital security tools (encrypted email, calls, texts, chat, etc;).
- Hackpacks - A hackpack is a backpack with a set of "always carry" tools for hacking the world around us. The aim is to distribute hackpacks to local youth who attend a class on hacking at sudo ^_^
- BACH - The Bay Area Consortium of Hackerspaces is a loosely-structured organization for promoting collaboration, mentorship and camaraderie across the various Bay Area hackerspaces.
- Floating Barges and Open Gardens: Is SF's Treasure Island the New Inventor's Garage? - Wired Insights, November 2013
- Hacking the Commons: How to Start a Hackerspace -Shareable.net, November 2012
- "The Digital Graveyard: Online Social Networking Sites as Vehicles of Remembrance," in Mike Wesch and Neil Whitehead (eds.), Human No More: Digital Subjectivities, Unhuman Subjects, and the End of Anthropology. University of Colorado Press. August 2012. PDF Buy on Amazon
- "Pro-Self-Harm and the Visibility of Youth-Generated Problematic Content," with danah boyd and Alex Leavitt. Journal of Information Law & Society, Winter 2011.
- "Weaving the Underground Web: Neotribalism and Psytrance on Tribe.net," in Graham St. John (ed.), The Local Scenes and Global Culture of Psytrance. Routledge: New York & London. June 2010. PDF Buy on Amazon
- The Virtual Campfire: An Ethnography of Online Social Networking. Master's Thesis, May 2008. PDF Website
Talks & Presentations
- scrape these from pwned website...
- PGP Fingerprint: 111D 394D EF58 605A C0F0 8E29 FDF8 CE38 CAFE 99F3
- SSH Key:
ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAADAQABAAABAQDCQA3l98JT2kNPmX4zpESFv31Wk4jLe0CEzzxixTCpmFZeZV1/FrjXnQAy6N87Dlj1/RVsFwA7C+zl35rFWPQEUlWXZ7aUzJ67Q7cyMEYzpagPAfr7dU7nL7knFMvtOn2Jb7EfHMJgFEKMcmmKvNdyKw3RrPkd1MDPXU33FmuhPvuYJzvv6OSpl7gsLYTAFE7u5BbRSTQQjoIfY0JzWeH/sxSzNKgk1uVjvuswvwXLxGQOzXwWc9cxL7PCi5gS+qAGclrsXXC3dkrsAAd4KodZ5SixKCFEQNXtukBL6Y3hcBR46lGcJLudAOYrq/UD82N50kLJhmf3dOOkazuD9Mzh hearthbook@hearthbook