[sudo-access] ftp entered omni @5am 2day

robb sf99er at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 12:10:54 PDT 2016


matt bought & installed a lock cylinder that automatically relocks the
cylinder after the door is unlocked (thank you matt!) so it is, now,
impossible to leave the front door unlocked.

i don't think we should have a latch that defaults to unlock during power
outages due to the inherent security vulnerabilities.

if we just get a new battery, the front door should be good - aside from
the fact that the panicbar & knob need to move over 3/4".
~r

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 6:53 PM, David Keenan <dkeenan44 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The electronic locks I was looking at some time ago could be preset to
> fail into either a locked or unlocked position. Just to double-check
> Jake, are you positive there's no way to change this as a setting of some
> sort?
>
> I have also been quite impressed with the electronic lock but the fact is
> it doesn't have a track record of reliable operation in the case of a power
> outage, because most likely because the battery failed (as you say)
> negating the ability to test its operation during the length of outages
> experienced so far. All I'm suggesting is, can it hurt to just see if there
> aren't any other issues (besides the battery) before dispensing with any
> other means to enter?
>
> Not being able to enter in the event of a power outage or
> any other emergency type situation, is also a liability issue for Omni.
>
> I have to say replacing the battery and failing into an open position
> would for me at least seem to solve most of the issues with the electronic
> lock, and a keyed lock that cannot be left in an unlocked position would
> solve a lot of the issues with the non-electronic lock.
>
> Just my opinion
>
> Dk
>
>
> On Tuesday, April 5, 2016, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 5 Apr 2016, David Keenan wrote:
>>
>> I say that only because: -  the current electronic lock system, while
>>> awesome and definitely vastly improved, does not yet have a good track
>>> record of reliability in the case of a power outage
>>>
>>
>> The current system actually works perfectly with the caveat that the
>> battery we are using is literally garbage we grabbed for the purpose.  Any
>> decent 12v battery would run the system easily for 24 hours straight.
>>
>> I am quite impressed with how reliable the system has been, and I have
>> even done things to make it more robust a while ago, so once we get a
>> decent battery I don't think we have to worry about it any more.
>>
>> - Im not sure what the backup option is should the electronic lock fail
>>> with no other way to open the door. Ie, in the case of a typical
>>> non-electronic keyed lock, a locksmith / hacker can be called upon to
>>> pick it open. I guess my question would be, what is the equivalent backup
>>> means of entry for the electronic lock, short of breaking down the door etc?
>>>
>>
>> I think you can open the front door with a flat piece of metal if you
>> angle it right.  Also, I think we are quickly headed toward replacing the
>> lock cylinder with a new key, which cannot be left in the unlocked position.
>>
>> Also Jake, in the event that the battery for the electronic lock fails,
>>> it should probably fail the lock into an open, not locked, position, which
>>> might help things. Is this something you can set up on that lock?
>>>
>>
>> there is no way to do this, since the electric latch release requires
>> electricity to activate, and defaults to the "locked" position.
>>
>> the obvious solution is to have a decent battery.  Marc has asked for a
>> link to such a battery and will purchase one as soon as I send the link,
>> which will be shortly after I measure the container the battery needs to
>> fit inside of, tonight.
>>
>> -jake
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://sudoroom.org/pipermail/access/attachments/20160406/57857867/attachment.html>


More information about the access mailing list