[Cryptoparty] Cryptoparty plannings!

Jonah Silas Sheridan freedom at jonahsilas.net
Tue Nov 12 18:26:26 PST 2013

Hey y'all --

I've been [mostly] lurking on here. As the primary caregiver of my 8
month old I need much lead time to do most anything.  Like shower. So I
often lack the nimbleness to participate. That being said I would be
happy to facilitate most any topic for most any date that I can make
work. Still sorting out whether Sunday would work for me & will check
back in on that.

But I am psyched for the enthusiasm on list today and want to throw my
hat in the ring. Thank you Jenny for carrying the torch!

I am, personally, a big fan of teaching people basics of a security
mindset. But I also love to talk about trackability, profiling,
surveillance and any tools aimed at limiting those! I could definitely
do a Tor/SSL thing as I have been lucky enough to train alongside Roger
from Tor and speed-geeked Tor at the last Penguin Day in SF. As a
handout I have been giving people a "My Security To Do List" to help
people build accountability around actions they intend to take. I would
love to help develop more takeaways for people over time.

Onward, crypto brokers!

JSS

William Gillis:

> Sweet, I'm down for email/PGP since I tend to end up training folks in
> it and personally use it more frequently than the others... also I
> tend to wax crotchety and cynical about phone security which is
> unproductive to teaching people!
>

> On 11/12/2013 04:40 PM, Jenny Ryan wrote:
> > Awesome! So we have myself, Matt, Will and Shawn on board, this I
> think is the minimum we need to host a cryptoparty, though more
> facilitators always welcome!
>
> > Shawn offered to workshop either mobile security or email/PGP. I
> could do chat / OTR as that's what I principally use for secure
> communications...
>
> > I'm in Tahoe til Thursday morning, and Thursday eve is pretty busy
> for me. We could also maybe just meet at 1pm at Sudo on Sunday to
> prep? I will try to prepare a handout for Sunday. I do not currently
> have time to make a flyer and coordinate posting :/ but I will do my
> best to promote online over the next few days. Also have made some
> announcements about it at large events so I think we'll have a good
> turnout anyway!
>
> > Jenny
> > http://jennyryan.net <http://jennyryan.net/>
> > http://thepyre.org <http://thepyre.org/>
> > http://thevirtualcampfire.org <http://thevirtualcampfire.org/>
> > http://technomadic.tumblr.com <http://technomadic.tumblr.com/>
>
> > `~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`
> > "Technology is the campfire around which we tell our stories."
> > -Laurie Anderson
>
> > "Storytelling reveals meaning without committing the error of
> defining it."
> >  -Hannah Arendt
>
> > "To define is to kill. To suggest is to create."
> > -Stéphane Mallarmé
> > ~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`
>

> > On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Matthew Senate
> <mattsenate at gmail.com <mailto:mattsenate at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> >     Hey all,
>
> >     I'd like to see a monthly crypoparty event still happen.
> Interested in coordinating, anyone else?
>
> >     // Matt
>

> >     On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 9:59 AM, Jenny Ryan
> <tunabananas at gmail.com <mailto:tunabananas at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> >         If I don't hear back from anyone by tomorrow morning, I will
> be canceling this and possibly all future cryptoparties.
>
> >         I can't do it myself, but I respect that y'all are busy
> people. Maybe we can do a reboot sometime in 2014.
>

> >         Jenny
> >         http://jennyryan.net <http://jennyryan.net/>
> >         http://thepyre.org <http://thepyre.org/>
> >         http://thevirtualcampfire.org <http://thevirtualcampfire.org/>
> >         http://technomadic.tumblr.com <http://technomadic.tumblr.com/>
>
> >         `~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`
> >         "Technology is the campfire around which we tell our stories."
> >         -Laurie Anderson
>
> >         "Storytelling reveals meaning without committing the error
> of defining it."
> >          -Hannah Arendt
>
> >         "To define is to kill. To suggest is to create."
> >         -Stéphane Mallarmé
> [...]

**********************************
jonah silas sheridan
cell:415-305-5567