[DisasterRadio] Mozilla WINS Round 2 submission due Friday!

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 12:21:20 PDT 2018

Allo friends,

As you may or may not know, the deadline for Round 2 submissions is this
Friday!

A draft gDoc with the questions (which are much the same as Round 1) is
here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Bp0CYUSzWEVt3xMusEQjQRvuCiciBsW6-gqYRw1VgZ4/edit

I think DisasterRadio has a really good shot. Here's a look at the Round 1
winners (some of which I'm genuinely shocked won anything):
* Project Lantern <http://lantern.works/docs/apps.html> - first place - has
amazing design docs but no link to Github repo
<https://github.com/lantern-works> (which is very recently active, also
recently created, also only 1-2 contributers). might wanna incorporate some
of the kinds of things they show here eg; use cases and app previews
* HERMES <https://github.com/DigitalHERMES> - second place - Rhizomatica -
active codebase, could be a contender, certainly has an excellent team -
doesn't have a super open source feel (no link to Github on their homepage,
for example)
* Emergency LTE - 3rd place - can't find any website, code, specs, etc
* goTenna <https://imeshyou.com/> - honorable mention - has an impressive
map, but nothing about the project is open source
* Wind <https://guardianproject.info/wind/> - honorable mention - project
by Guardian Project - no Github activity in months
* RAVE <https://github.com/commotionwireless/rave> - honorable mention -
project by Commotion - Github has nothing in it and last commit was in
November
* Baculus <https://xn--f87c.net/> - honorable mention - still only a design
doc, same with the Github repo <https://github.com/jedahan/baculus> (and 1
contributer)
* Portable Cell Initiative
<https://github.com/Ironarcher/portable-cell-initiative> - honorable
mention - recent github activity but also 1 contributer
* Othernet <http://blog.othernet.xyz/index.php/Timeline> - they at least
have a wiki and a team :D looks interesting, tho not a whole lot of progress
<http://blog.othernet.xyz/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&days=30&from=>
they did use half the funds to train 4 high school students
<http://othernet.xyz/othernet-engineer/>

Butofcourse, there will be 35 other projects contending that were advanced
to Round 2...

Compare to our progress <https://disaster.radio/updates/> (excellent
updates juul!) most demonstrable by looking at the github history
<https://github.com/sudomesh/disaster-radio/commits/master>, as is the
actual-collaborative
<https://github.com/sudomesh/disaster-radio/graphs/contributors> nature of
the project :)

Could we document the working prototype this week? I am available to run
between, say Captain Morgan's and Omni with a camera... and do some editing
work on the submission (tho focus for me is more on the People's Open
submission). Could also edit a short video with the footage Marc's already
taken.

If anyone has the spoons to hack on this this week, plz reply to this
thread!

<3
Jenny

Help open a professional kitchen at the Omni Commons in Oakland!
https://omnicommons.org/kitchen

-Laurie Anderson

 -Hannah Arendt

-Stéphane Mallarmé

"Anything done for the first time unleashes a demon."
--Dave Sim, "Cerebus the Aardvark"