[DisasterRadio] hello to disaster radio

grant grant at peoplesopen.net
Mon Apr 26 17:47:21 PDT 2021

Hey wxie, Daniel, and Antoine,

I wouldn't call this project "dead", but more on an indefinite
hiatus...haha.

I think some sudomeshers are still working on the custom board, not sure
how that is going.

I was the only person doing software/firmware development, but have
taken a step back and no one has stepped up to take over as maintainer.
I'm willing to assist in getting someone to speed if they are
super-interested in maintaining the repo, but if you really care about
the project you will need to be very self-motivated (i.e. there isn't
any money involved) and a patient programmer (i.e. my old code is
probably horrible).

That being said, meshtastic is a lot more active and could probably be
modified to do the thing that it doesn't do (web server or ble app or
solar panels? idk someone told me the difference between disaster.radio
and meshtastic once, I don't remember what it was because it seemed small).

Anyways, there are a lot of cool projects out there doing similar stuff,
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for disaster radio to be revitalized.

Thnx,

grant