[DisasterRadio] Presence on Scuttlebutt ssb

sunjam at james.network sunjam at james.network
Thu Sep 23 19:28:52 PDT 2021

Hi Disaster Radio fans,

I'm hoping disaster.radio can develop a presence within Scuttlebutt.
Currently there is nothing, only channel reference #disasterradio.
After some years of things being as-is perhaps we can consider the next
step: I would love to see disaster.radio have an SSB room [1] we can all
connect on and include in a Public lists that is easy to find [2].  My
guess is disaster.radio peeps might not even know what a room is... a
"room" in SSB connects users without replicating their messages or
data.  This means it is left to the users to relay their messages
between each other via some other means.  Good news is this should keep
the room server light and nimble, where-as Pubs host many gigabytes of
data as more users join.

This project is cool, but there is simply no success if we are not able
to communicate together via Scuttlebutt.... it is the very technology
that the radio hinges on.  I felt so inspired by disaster.radio that I
setup a Pub a couple years ago, with the original intention of
communicating across disaster nodes... I still hope that this might
happen, but first we just need a presence for disaster.radio on
scuttlebutt as more than a hashtag!

[1] https://github.com/ssb-ngi-pointer/go-ssb-room

[2] https://github.com/ssbc/ssb-server/wiki/Pub-servers