[DisasterRadio] Heirarchy of services - LibreMesh for general community

Greg Hall greghall at brushbox.info
Mon Sep 27 03:20:52 PDT 2021

The scenario that GregT identifies also applies in our village,
doubtless also many others.

My intention is to have LibreMesh routers at the key community centres,
each with a modest LiPo and PV panel to keep it alive, and directional
antennae on one or two of the WiFi RF connex. A panel or collinear,
homebrew or commercial for local, Yagi or recycled PayTV dish with
bow-tie on 2.4GHz for point2point links - or just buy Ubiquiti stuff...

The LibreMesh will be for the use of general community members, and
should provide cached pages of important services; news, weather, fire,
health, and a view of messages and incidents reported by our community
'first responders', and also messaging services for general use.
Probably limited external comms, need to conserve bandwidth. We may make
available audio feeds of emergency services mobile radio and our own
2-way network. The D.R/Meshtastic/ProjectOwl devices, etc are more for
these first responders already equipped and familiar with their
function. If we can get CivTAK happening on both, there will be a map of
incidents available.

Given the turgidity of the authorities, I expect zero integration with
official emergency services, but we can make available a few useful feeds.

Assistance in defining all of this more than welcome.

(& Yes, this is a D.R list, but finding the role of D.R in the wider
community is, in my view, key to implementing it.

Greg Hall
0265504481
0428850144
VK2GTH