[sudo-hall] Oaklnd Tech in the NY Times

Garrett Smith dhtmlkitchen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 17:40:19 PST 2013

On 12/26/13, Eddan Katz <eddan at sudoroom.tv> wrote:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/25/business/another-city-by-the-bay-comes-into-its-own.html
>
> Another City by the Bay Comes Into Its Own
>
> By JOE GOSE
>
> December 24, 2013
>

> Long considered San Francisco’s little brother — or maybe its punk cousin —
> Oakland has struggled with negative perceptions wrought by crime, protests
> and a mediocre football team.
>
> But from grass-roots efforts to revitalize urban neighborhoods to nearly $2
> billion in residential and commercial development forging ahead on the
> waterfront, Oakland seems to be coming into its own in the Bay Area.

That's part of Plan Bay Area and part of SB 375, written largely by
the building industry.

> For better or worse, the growth has earned Oakland the designation “Brooklyn
> of the West,” comparing it to the New York borough with its recent
> renaissance and emergence from Manhattan’s shadow.

PlaNYC was is the Northeast Megaregion's version of Plan Bay Area.
There, Mayor Bloomberg influenced ABAG/MTC (the Northern California
Megaregion's RPA or RTPA).

[...]

> “Our focus has always been to avoid making Jack London Square just another
> mall with the usual suspects for tenants,” he said. “We want to make it a
> unique, only-in-Oakland experience.”

>From an Ellis Partners rep. My guess is that Ellis Partners may have,
as part of the building industry, influenced SB-375.

Generally that's how it goes and with SB-375 (Sustainable
Communities), largely written by the California Building Industry
Association (lobby). Ostensibly written for more jobs, cleaner air,
social equity, and better quality of life (from UN Agenda 21). But as
the politicians make such promises, the result is denser cities, more
crime, higher rent, smaller living confines, and condensed pollution.
--
Garrett
@xkit