[mesh-dev] A little late

Marc Juul juul at labitat.dk
Sun Apr 19 02:16:37 PDT 2015

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 7:55 PM, max b <maxb.personal at gmail.com> wrote:

> and with attachments.....
>
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 7:55 PM, max b <maxb.personal at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Scratch that - those aren't compiled correctly. These should be though.
>> Damn openwrt buildroot is a pita. Why wouldn't make
>> package/packagename/clean && make package/packagename/compile re-download
>> the git tarball!!
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 7:43 PM, max b <maxb.personal at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey folks,
>>>
>>> I'm running a little late, but it does look like I successfully compiled
>>> an ar71xx binary of notdchpclient and notdhcpserver. I've attached the ipks
>>> to this email in case anyone is super anxious to get running with them,
>>> otherwise I'll be at sudo a little after 8.

Yay! \o/

For some reason these messages ended up in my spam box :/

I spent the evening debugging and improving notdhcp and it really needs to
be compiled again. Hopefully that's easy now?

I wrote down some thoughts on our future plans to auto-switch ethernet
ports from public/private to dedicated extender-node ports. Here they are:

  https://github.com/sudomesh/sudowrt-firmware/issues/26

I was thinking about setting a tentative development schedule for roll-out:

Suggested milestones for v0.2:

* Switch to babel [done]
* Upgrade to barrier breaker [done]
* Multi-radio support [done]
* Add-on radios via extender-nodes [nearly there]
* New ubus-based web interface (but no extender-node management) [~three
nights work?]
* Working (but not necessarily ideal) node monitoring system [done?]
* No fake captive portal [postponed]

Suggested timeline:

  * May 1st: sudowrt feature-complete for 0.2 and ready to test. First
home+extender node up near curtis st. garden.
  * May 7th: First garden node prototype operational at Curtis st.
community garden.
  * June 1st:
    ** sudowrt v0.2 release candidate 1.
    ** Development of v0.3 begins.
  * July 1st: sudowrt v0.2 stable release
  * August 1st: v0.3 feature-complete

Potential milestones for v0.3:

* Improved web interface
** Usage statistics
** Extender-node management
* Automatic extender-node connection on all ethernet ports
* Fake captive portal working
* Service browser working well
* Node alignment-helper web interface
* Support for monthly bandwidth sharing cap

Potential milestones for v1.0:

* Per-node internet-routable IPv6 subnet
* Multicast node-monitoring
* Gigabit connection piped into mesh
* Decentralized exit node / VPuN server discovery
* Service browser working well
* Switch to "foo over udp" tunnel
* Auto-launch of local services (wikipedia/openstreetmaps) when USB stick
plugged in
* Logistics management for sale of pre-flashed nodes
* Launch crowdfunding campaign

Potential milestones for v2.0:
* Secure trust-based babel routing
* Automatic node transmit power adjustment

Our efforts to document should keep up with releases, so it may make sense
to take a couple of weeks of focused documentation effort after each
release.

What do you humans think?

--
marc/juul