[mesh-dev] The problems with mesh-wide NAT

Mitar mitar at tnode.com
Sat Aug 29 13:24:24 PDT 2015

Hi!

> So if someone decides to abuse wikipedia from the mesh they will block us
> and it is very unlikely that they will unblock us.

I think this is for Meta. English Wikipedia has a bit more open policy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:IP_block_exemption

"Normally, long-term blocks of IP addresses or ranges do not affect
logged-in editors."

So I think the issue is with editing Wikipedia without being logged in.
But if you do have an account, it should be really a lot of abuse to
block also logged-in editors.

It feels to me like this is possible to discussion and explanation. I
think community-based projects like mesh networks and Wikipedia would
understand each other and be able to work something out.

In any case, I have not noticed issues with editing the Wikipedia from
wlan slovenija exit. I just tried it now. And with Google we had issue
only after switching to a new IP for a few weeks, but it works now.

But just to be clear, I completely support the idea of public routable
IPv6 addresses in our networks. I am just sharing experience that it
works also without. But yes, we should have public IPv6 addresses in our
networks. :-) That is a good goal.

Mitar

--
http://mitar.tnode.com/