[mesh-dev] LMI reportback

April Glaser april.glaser at riseup.net
Tue Feb 3 22:52:52 PST 2015

hi all,

two questions on LMI and making omni Internet way better.

-what does the Omni finance group need in order to approve moving
forward with an LMI connection? Do we need to do get more info to write
up a pithy proposal?

-and who bottom lining communicating this to the finance group? was it Marc?

just added updated notes on uplink explorations on our general note pad.
https://pad.riseup.net/p/sudomesh

thanks,
april

On 1/30/15 3:20 PM, April Glaser wrote:
> I also just put in four information requests (turns out it's an act of
> Congress to get someone on the phone) from Cogent, Level 3, AT&T, and
> 365 to find out about their price of transit and if by some fluke they
> aren't opposed to us mounting an antenna at their space. They should
> call me back.
>
> Once we iron out this bit of research we should move forward with
> finding a more robust uplink to toy with at the Omni. Yay.
>
> I hope that everyone reading this has an enjoyable and/or productive
> weekend.
>
> Yours,
> April
> On 1/27/15 11:11 AM, max b wrote:
>> Agreed that it probably only serves the network temporarily, but I
>> think that it would be a HUGE benefit to the Omni. I even think that
>> $120 for ~150Mbps would be reasonable considering the number of people
>> who use the Omni on a regular basis....
>>
>> That would provide us with a good starting point for finally
>> networking the Omni, including perhaps the meraki mesh that we had
>> discussed before. We should maybe also see what sort of 802.11n
>> devices we have so that we could actually get high speed wireless to
>> devices in the space.
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 10:30 AM, Alexander Papazoglou
>> <papazoga at gmail.com <mailto:papazoga at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hello,
>>
>>     I spoke with LMI regarding an uplink to the OMNI.
>>
>>     The person I spoke with wasn't very familiar with their wireless
>>     deployment, but assured me that their best offering for us would
>>     be VDSL (he said that "there's been a change in the technology
>>     they can offer us"). The CO is apparently behind Genova Deli
>>     near 49th. This means we could hope for about 80Mbps.
>>
>>     Their rate (on the Business plan) is $59.99 + tax, with $99 for
>>     gear and $60 for activation. They also offer line bonding (to
>>     double capacity).
>>
>>     This is a reasonable option for the Omni, but I think it would
>>     only serve us (peoplesopen/sudomesh) temporarily. Also, I
>>     have always had poor latency with DSL, even with reasonable
>>     speeds.
>>
>>     Discuss?
>>
>>     Alex

0x54FC570B