[mesh-dev] Tackling the 10.0.0.0/8 problem

Marc Juul juul at labitat.dk
Sun Feb 8 20:17:19 PST 2015

One big issue that we will have to deal with before really launching is the
fact that several home routers use 10.0.0.0

I honestly don't know if any of them use 10.0.0.0/8 or if they're all
10.0.0.0/24 but either way it's a problem.

There are two possible solutions.

= We don't use 10.x.x.x for the mesh =

There _are_ alternatives but one of them look great. Here are some I've
looked at.

== 44.0.0.0/8 ==

This is the HAM or AMPRnet subnet. It looks like it's very scarcely used,
if it's really used at all. It's for HAM packet radio and experimentation.
One the one hand I don't want to piss of the HAMs, but on the other hand
their entire subnet is in violation of net neutrality since they don't
allow commercial traffic on their subnet. This is definitely the easy
solution.

Here's an overview of their allocations:

  https://portal.ampr.org/networks.php

I'm sure if we did a ping scan of the address space we'd see only very few
hosts. Anyone wanna take a stab at that?

== 238.0.0.0/8 ==

Using multicast address space as unicast unfortunately does not work.

== 240.0.0.0/8 ==

All of 240.0.0.0 and above is designated as "future use". However, an IETF
proposal to take it into use was rejected, apparently partially because
many IP stacks just outright reject or ignore any packets from this address
space. We'd need an overview of which systems are affected, but I don't
really think this is a viable option.

= We use 10.x.x.x for the mesh =

If we are to use 10.x.x.x for the mesh then we will have to do something
clever/ugly.

A solution would contain the following parts:

* The DHCP client would have to remap 10/8 DHCP responses on eth0 to a
different subnet (this could be 240/8) such that the interface takes on an
address different from the one provided by the DHCP server.
* ARP spoofing would have to be enabled on eth0 such that the node will
respond to ARP requests for the address it was assigned via DHCP.
* All incoming traffic on eth0 with a destination of 10/8 would have to be
remapped to 240/8 before routing happens
* All outgoing traffic on eth0 with a destination of 240/8 would have to be
remapped to 10/8 after routing happens

To accomplish the DHCP fakery, a modification to the openwrt dhcp client
would have to be written. I don't foresee that being very difficult.
Depending on the ARP spoofing difficulty, it could be as simple as adding
support for a hook script that runs on dhcp lease acceptance.

I'm not sure how best to do the ARP spoofing. There may be mechanisms built
into the Linux kernel. It may be that we can actually just assign the
10.x.x.x address gotten from the dhcp server to eth0 in addition to the
240.x.x.x address and just ensure that no mention of the 10.x.x.x address
appears in the routing table and that the kernel is configure to _not_
respond to ARP requests on interfaces other than the interface they are
inquiring about (the default is to always answer).

It seems that the address remapping might already be possible. I haven't
yet tested if it works as expected, but the following commands seem to be
what we'd need:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -s 10.0.0.0/8 -j NETMAP --to
239.0.0.0/8
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -d 239.0.0.0/8 -j NETMAP --to
10.0.0.0/8

I'll try to set up a little experiment later tonight to see if this
remapping works as expected. Honestly though, using 44.0.0.0/8 seems really
attractive to me at this point.

--
marc/juul