[mesh-dev] Web admin of roof to roof nodes [another ramble]

Mitar mitar at tnode.com
Sat Feb 21 00:36:10 PST 2015

Hi!

> The roof to roof 5 ghz nodes should probably just have babel on both wifi
> and ethernet interface and the same IP assigned to both interfaces.

While technically it works and initially we had the same setup,
assigning only one IP per node, we moved later to have IP per interface,
and one IP assigned/designated as a primary to the loopback device.
Maybe that was in our case limitation of OLSR, but things seem to work
the most reliably in that way. I do not know details, though, what all
issues we had that we had to move to this setup. CCing Kostko who might
be able to provide more information here.

> I believe we've been thinking that anywhere that has a roof to roof node,
> and isn't just a relay point, must also have a 2.4 ghz node with the normal
> sudowrt firmware and that the rooftop 5 ghz node plugs into the 2.4 ghz
> node via ethernet.

We always put a 2.4 GHz node there. It at least offers a switch. (5 GHz
directional devices often have only one Ethernet port.) But why not also
spread the end-user signal around more. :-) We use cheap TP-Links for that.

> If we put a web admin interface on the 5 ghz rooftop nodes at all, then I
> imagine that it would be very singular in purpose: It would show a
> live-updating feed of only other 5 ghz peoplesopen.net-node2node nodes +
> their signal strength and let the user select which node to connect to (of
> course using self-signed SSL and a node-unique password).

Hm, better than signal strength is to simply make load (iperf) through
the link when aiming the antennas. Signal strength measurements can be
off. The issue is that often you do not want to generate load itself on
nodes, but on devices connected to nodes.

> btw I think we should consider not using my.node and similar domains since
> chrome and safari don't understand those domains unless prefaced with
> http(s):// (though safari at least understands .local).

In this time of strange top-level domains they do not support this? Hmm. ;-)

I think you can push through DHCP local domains or something, then they
should recognize them, no?

Mitar

--
http://mitar.tnode.com/