[mesh-dev] Multicast forwarding for layer 3 pseudo-bridges

Jernej Kos jernej at kos.mx
Wed Jun 24 10:02:51 PDT 2015

Hello!

On 24. 06. 2015 18:55, Dave Taht wrote:
>> Running babeld is a solution, but not ideal since it makes Babel deal with
>> extender-nodes as real nodes, adding more signalling traffic to the network
>> which should be unnecessary and complicates our network graphs.
>
> The signalling traffic is trivial. (especially compared to bridging
> multicast????)
>
> The complications are possibly beneficial. I have gone through hell
> finding weird
> bridged networks in the path.

I have to agree with Dave here. I prefer to have more transparency (even
if it increases the topology a little) instead of bridges that can't be
seen and are hard to debug.

I understand your case for wanting to forward mDNS traffic over L3, but
why would you want to bridge Babel multicast? This will just hide
potential problems when they occur.

Jernej