[mesh-dev] Multicast forwarding for layer 3 pseudo-bridges

Marc Juul juul at labitat.dk
Fri Jun 26 08:10:26 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 9:34 PM, max b <maxb.personal at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just a thought - what exactly does using adhoc buy us here? I imagine that
> our extender nodes will likely be either pt->pt or pt->multipoint, each of
> which would be supported by an AP->Station mode. I guess that it might be
> slightly more convenient to just throw extender nodes into adhoc and not
> worry about them, but generally we'll have to select channels anyhow, so is
> it much harder just to choose station or AP mode?
>
> If we were to abandon adhoc mode, can we use WDS in order to bridge
> extender nodes?

Abandoning adhoc sounds like a pain, but according to Adrian we can
actually use four-address mode even on adhoc with the mac80211 driver.

The trade-off is that only devices with atheros chipsets would be able to
connect to the mesh. This, to me, is not a good trade-off. I went ahead and
implemented a solution with babeld running on the extender nodes.

If we get to a point where our routing tables or babeld traffic is getting
to be too much then that is a good day and we'll have a large mesh with
enough resources to throw at this problem.

--
marc/juul