[mesh-dev] Hacknight progress

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 13:15:34 PDT 2015

1) I see you are using your own fork of babel 1.5.1, with ipc support.

What are you using the tunnelling interfaces for? rtt based routing vpns?

The current "babel way" is to just specify all possible interfaces at
start time. There is also support for additional conf files in a conf
dir now. There is some new syntax to make more options inheritable
(and the default openwrt configuration methods modified to suit)

Example babeld.conf #1:

default enable-timestamps true rtt-min 10 max-rtt-penalty 128
local-port 33123
log-file /dev/null
ipv6-subtrees true
diversity 3

# Hip addresses by their very nature are unroutable
redistribute local ip 2001:10::/28 ge 28 deny
redistribute local ip 1.0.0.0/24 ge 24 deny

# my two interfaces

interface eth0 enable-timestamps true rtt-min 2 # note that for saner
folk than I this should probably be 0
interface wlan0 enable-timestamps true rxcost 512 channel 1 #
automagic channel detection is broken, and currently, instead of
exporting a larger metric for wlan0 (which is a 2ghz node on a network
with much faster 5ghz nodes), I change the rxcost.

Certainly I agree that being more dynamic is a good idea, but it is
unclear how often you would want to just restart babel based on
interfaces coming and going.

2) the builtin, but painful, way to get a dump of babel stuff is to
connect locally with socat over the supported socket, and/or tunnel
with ssh for babelweb

ssh -N -T -L 33126:[::1]:33123 ranger # as one example

if babelweb supported it you could do a different ssh with an implicit tunnel.

3) there seemed to be some logic ripped out that worried me