[mesh-dev] Planning per-router configs for makenode

max b maxb.personal at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 10:37:18 PDT 2015

Thanks for thinking this all through Marc!

A couple things I was thinking

We're going to need poe for all of these devices, except for the MyNet. How
cheap was that little poe strip that you bought for our little dev setup?
We'll also then need a place to plug in two AC devices (doesn't seem like a
big deal).

One possible downside to this setup is that all of the CPU-intensive stuff
> is handled by the My Net router and the other (very capable) devices are
> just bridging. I think the solution is to accept this less-than-perfect
> solution for now and rely on whatever future router we decide to use as a
> My Net replacement to have a much faster CPU (this is probably a safe bet).

It's not clear necessarily how very capable the power bridges are. Also -
it allows us to use a much larger variety of other gear, including much
cheaper mikrotic gear (especially some neat AC devices) that don't support
openwrt.

However, we DO need to come up with a solution for accessing and monitoring
all of the bridged gear that is attached to these MyNet routers. Because
each node is assigned a /26, we could probably reserve x.x.x.2 for whatever
device is on port 1, x.x.x.3 for whatever device is on port 2, etc.

> I should mention that Max and Adri today discovered that CPU _is_ a huge
> limiting factor on the Picostation 2 routers, so if we put too much load on
> the (granted much much faster, maybe 7-8 times faster) newer devices it may
> become an issue again.

Let's see what we can do here. We might consider some small router board
with many ethernet ports which we can run the firmware on. I'm not sure
what options are out there, but something like this:
http://routerboard.com/RB750GL  I have no idea what sort of support for
openwrt they have...

We just ordered five Western Digital My Net N750 routers for use in the
> Omni test network, and I think the N600 version (same, but non-gigabit and
> cheaper) is a good candidate for home-routers that we can give to people.

Awesome - I'm excited to check these out!