[mesh-dev] Nanobeam and assumptions

Marc Juul juul at labitat.dk
Wed Mar 11 20:38:16 PDT 2015

It seems that there is now preliminary support for nanobeam devices in
OpenWRT:

  https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/16796

So that's nice, but the second to last comment says that speeds are much
lower than for stock firmware. It could be that this person just didn't
configure his node correctly or it could be that this is the case for all
ubiquiti devices.

Lately we've been talking about the possibility of using non-openwrt
routers for point to point bridged links. We've heard from a few people
that performance of ubiquiti M5 gear for point to point links is basically
the same in OpenWRT and stock firmware.

I think we should test that ourselves. I'm ordering some nanobridges and
nanostations right now and we should do a few tests with point to point and
point to multipoint using openwrt and stock firmware.

It'd be nice to have benchmarks on our wiki. I can't find any existing
benchmarks online?

--
marc/juul