[mesh-dev] 802.11 feature questions

Mitar mitar at tnode.com
Thu May 28 02:23:24 PDT 2015

Hi!

> I'm trying to figure out how to disable just 802.11b but not 802.11g. I
> know how to enable greenfield mode, but not how to just disable 802.11b

I disabled B by forbidding clients to connect with legacy bitrates. See
towards the end of this README the /etc/hotplug.d/iface/30-bitrates
script to do it:

https://github.com/cloyne/network/blob/master/unifi/README.md

More info:

https://superuser.com/questions/881025/limiting-low-bitrates-with-iw-on-ath9k

BTW, there is also hwmode option in UCI for wireless. Set it to 11g.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/wireless

I even tried preventing G connections. But too many clients couldn't
connect. The easiest thing for me to prevent G connection was to use UCI
"option require_mode n". I think that uses wpa supplicant to do that (or
whatever is currently the app used, hostapd or what). So after
association. But for me it worked because I was using network with password.

> Would you enable 40 mhz mode for these public access points as well?

On 2.4 GHz? No way.

> If I understand correctly then they will still be able to use 20 mhz
> for 802.11g devices and 40 mhz for 802.11n devices. Correct?

I even prefer using 20 MHz on 5 GHz. It is better to have less change of
packet collisions. At least I prefer low latency than (theoretical) high
throughput. But maybe I was just brainwashed by bufferbloat's Dave. :-)

Mitar

--
http://mitar.tnode.com/
https://twitter.com/mitar_m