[mesh-talk] Mesh hacknight tonight 7:30 pm

max b maxb.personal at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 21:03:57 PDT 2015

Ok peopleopen.net is now more or less the front page that we all knew and
loved (and can continue to know and love). I just used github's static
pages feature because it's a hell of a lot less overhead than setting up a
full wordpress site.

We have a few options moving forwards:

- We leave as is. Considering that we haven't had *any* front page for the
past several months, I think it's a fine solution.

- We add content to the github pages repo. This would require that
contributors be able to use git. I'm happy to walk people through the
basics, especially if all we want to do is add a bit of text here or there.
I'm also happy to make larger changes and/or put in text if people want
specific parts in there. This could include things like menus, extra pages,
etc.

- We setup another wordpress site. Wordpress is obviously a nice platform
for allowing folks to contribute without having to know the technical
details of using git and/or editing html. It has a lot of downsides,
though, chief among them that version control and database backups are
complicated. It's the primary reason we've been without a front page for
this long. I'm happy to see the wordpress site restored and I'd even
participate in restoring it, but it seems like wasted efforts unless we
version control the template (ideally as a child-theme unless we're
hand-writing one entirely from scratch) and implement a reasonable database
backup scheme. I'd even prefer doing something fancy like using Docker (and
I got most of the way through this approach), but I don't really want to
re-write the php/html/css theme and without the old template files we're
stuck re-doing a fair amount of work. If someone has those lying around
and/or wants to put their front-end dev skills to use, lemme know and we
can figure it out.

Similarly, this could be a great opportunity to plug in someone who wants
to help, but doesn't have the deeper computer networking skills that
firmware, etc require. I don't know who that would be off the top of my
head, but it seems as though there are always people asking.