[Mesh] Storage server and support forum

Marc Juul juul at labitat.dk
Tue Jan 21 02:02:53 PST 2014

Hi meshers!

As you may already know, we received a donation of a 10 TB storage server
from the Novato Unified School District (!)

We'll soon write a proper thank you post and put them on our list of
sponsors.

For now, I wanted to announce that it was picked up in Novato with the help
of Pete, and over the past two days Daniel (who was the main force behind
making this donation happen) and myself have set up the storage server.
It's at sudo room for now and it's running GNU Mediagoblin. Until we find a
better spot for it, you can reach it at:

  http://datasink.sudomesh.org:8000/

So far I've heard two suggestions for uses of this server:

  * A community-curated library of free and open media.
  * Encrypted storage for folks using the mesh.

Let's see how we like mediagoblin for the first use. Right now I've
installed plugins for: Video, audio, pdf, stl (3d models) and ascii art :)

Some specs:

  * 2 dual-core 2 GHz Xeon processors
  * 4 GB ram (and four more slots to fill)
  * 2x 160 GB sata drives in raid 1 for operating system
  * 10x 1 TB sata drives in raid 5 for storage
  * 15 total hot-pluggable harddrive slots
  * Debian 7

We could likely fit a few more sata drives inside, if we're ok with them
not being hot-pluggable. If we filled it with 3 TB drives, then we could
probably upgrade it to about 55 TB for about $2000 worth of drives.

I also set up a phpbb support forum. The idea is that the stickers that go
on the power supply will list the address h.sudomesh.org and that url will
take them to a page (that doesn't yet exist) that links to user
documentation, node operators documentation, developer documentation and a
support forum. For now there is just the support forum at:

  http://h.sudomesh.org

aliases are: help.sudomesh.org and support.sudomesh.org

I was tweaking the phpbb theme and was planning on switching the color
scheme to something more in line with the sudo mesh colors (and maybe
remove the jagged edges), but ran out of steam.

More work to be don!

Mesh The Planet!

--
marc/juul