[sudo-announce] Tomorrow (Saturday) 2 PM: An algorithmic tour of the brain

Anthony Di Franco di.franco at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 14:40:22 PDT 2013

Tomorrow if you join us you might be saying Today I Learned cool things
about brain-inspired algorithms, and then had fun with
PyBrain<http://pybrain.org/>afterwards. Jointly with Counter Culture
labs, this:

Study of the brain has inspired algorithms that seek to emulate how it
functions for as long as practical computers have existed with which to try
these algorithms out. We'll look at some of the most notable of these and
find out how our understanding of the brain has given us powerful tools to
solve difficult problems. Get a better handle on your noggin and how it
might work with an algorithmic tour of the brain.

·  Cerebellum ― Cerebellar Model Articulation Controller

·  Cortex ― Perceptrons, Liquid State Networks, Long Short-Term Memory

·  Hippocampus ― Hopfield network

·  Thalamus ― Scale-free network Integrated systems ― Miikkulainen's
DISCERN & artificial schizophrenia experiments

·  Tools & future directions
Experience as a brain owner is all that is required! We'll start at a
conceptual level suitable for the curious layperson and go deeper into the
technical details according to your interests.

http://www.meetup.com/Counter-Culture-Labs/events/140945552/