[sudo-announce] Help get Omni Commons ready to open to the public!

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 15:50:25 PST 2014

Dear Sudo Room supporter,

As many of you know, Sudo Room recently moved to a new home in the Omni
Commons. We've been gaining new members every week, and are excited to have
the space and opportunity to work on all kinds of new projects and build
anything we can imagine. Our doors are open to members and guests, but we
have a lot of work left to do until we're able to officially open our doors
to the public!

Occupy Oakland recognized the need for common public space collectively
stewarded for the benefit of the community. The Omni is one of the
manifestations of this dream now emerging. To make sure it can happen, we,
the Omni collectives, have launched an *IndieGoGo campaign*
<https://omnicommons.org/donate>. In order to reach our ultimate goal of
buying the Omni building as a community land trust, and making it
sustainable, we have to take this first step of raising enough money to
make the building accessible, bring it up to fire codes, equip it with a
legal commercial kitchen, and implement other upgrades needed to officially
open to the public. More details are available on the *IndieGogo page*
<https://omnicommons.org/donate>.

Please share far and wide!

We are asking you to contribute any way you can. There are 3 main ways to
support.

*1. Come* *visit the Omni and see how you might want to get involved.* You
should see the amazing building and meet the people. Or you can just hang
out :-)

Here's a link to our video-tour: https://youtu.be/9Zccga90hcY

Our community is composed of an ever-growing ensemble of collectives and
projects:
* Food Not Bombs: *Reclaiming food to ensure all are fed - since the 19**8*
*0s,* <http://ebfnb.org>
* Counter Culture Labs: *A biotech laboratory that makes science accessible
outside of academia* <http://counterculturelabs.org>,
* *The Bay Area Public School* <http://bayareapublicschool.org>: A
horizontally-organized all-volunteer university,
* Omni Media Project: Providing education and resources for making
independent media to those without access,
* Material Print Machine: A community print shop for self-publishing,
* La Commune: A worker-owned cafe and bookstore that serves as the entrance
to Omni Commons, currently crowdfunding`to open in full
<https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/la-commune-cafe-and-bookstore--2/x/9094356>
!
* Optik Allusions <https://omnicommons.org/wiki/Optik_Allusions>: A radical
film collective dedicated to social change, and directors of our one-shot
walkthrough video tour <http://omnicommons.org/donate>,
* Our commons: We're renting out <https://omnicommons.org/occupy> our large
ballroom, stage, dance studio and small rooms on a sliding-scale basis,
encouraging aligned groups and projects to join us in creating a model for
equitably sharing space and resources.

*2. Spread the word about the Omni on social media and in person.*

Share the *Campaign page* <https://omnicommons.org/donate> on Facebook.

Retweet the following:

   - @omnicommons is creating a people-powered commons in Oakland,
   California.

Update your email signature for a month to:

   - "Help open a people-powered common space in Oakland, California:
   omnicommons.org/donate"

*3. **Donate* <https://omnicommons.org/donate>* whatever you can afford.
Every little bit counts!*

Help crowdfund the revolution at omnicommons.org/donate

You can donate to Sudo Room directly as well *here*
<https://gratipay.com/sudoroom>. Thank you for making Omni Commons and Sudo
Room real.

If you have more ways you’d like to help, please let us know!

Love and solidarity,
Sudo Room