[sudo-crowd] NPR on Equity Crowdfunding

Eddan Katz eddan at sudoroom.tv
Thu Nov 28 09:53:26 PST 2013

My friend Yoki Noguchi, who used to write about Tech policy for the Washington Post, just did this piece for NPR on equity crowdfunding.

Small Firms May Soon Turn To Crowdfunding To Sell Shares
http://www.npr.org/2013/11/26/247170871/small-firms-may-soon-turn-to-crowdfunding-to-sell-shares

---
Currently, private companies are only allowed to solicit funding from accredited investors — essentially wealthy people with a net worth of $1 million, excluding their homes. But the new rules would allow companies to raise as much as $1 million a year from lower net-worth people by selling shares. Regulations are needed because last year's Jumpstart Our Business Startups (JOBS) Act allows small investors to obtain equity stakes in startups and other small businesses.

---