[sudo-discuss] What projects are you working on?

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 15:33:27 PDT 2013

Hi everyone!

I'm working with Judi from San Leandro to put together our first BACH [Bay
Area Consortium of Hackerspaces] newsletter. We'd like to highlight the
projects people are working on in various hackerspaces around the Bay Area.
*Please reply to this thread with a one-sentence description of something
you've been working on at the space* (feel free to add more details, but
start with a sentence that summarizes so I don't have to ;) ).

I'll start: The Oakland mesh group just finished a successful crowdfunding
campaign <https://www.wepay.com/xtewtey> to bootstrap the first 100 nodes,
consisting of low-cost routers and antennas to make point-to-point wifi
connections across the East Bay.

Mesh networks are awesome because they don't depend on the existing
centralized Internet Service Providers to function. Though they can be
connected to the Internet as we know it now, a mesh provides a
decentralized means of communication with our local community. We view mesh
networks as a means of reconnecting to our neighbors, supporting local
businesses, and enabling grassroots community collaboration. In the event
of disaster or government censorship, an active mesh network is a resilient
mode of communication and sharing of information. Learn
more<https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh>
.
Thanks!
Jenny