[sudo-discuss] Fwd: Course for the Fall: i290M- Open Collaboration and Peer Production

Matthew Senate mattsenate at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 12:06:58 PDT 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sebastian Benthall <sbenthall at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Subject: Course for the Fall: i290M- Open Collaboration and Peer Production
To: oa-team at lists.berkeley.edu, open-it at lists.berkeley.edu
Cc: D-Lab Team <dlab-team at lists.berkeley.edu>, Aaron Culich <
aculich at eecs.berkeley.edu>

Hi all,

Just wanted to circulate this course announcement for what we'll be
teaching this Fall.

Note the section at the end where we are encouraging people working on open
projects to contact us so we can direct students towards them.

Please forward widely.  Thanks -- Seb

*i290M Fall 2013 : Open Collaboration and Peer Production*
*Instructors : Sebastian Benthall, Thomas Maillart and John Chuang*

*Class : F 11am-1pm in South Hall 210*
*Lab : T 1-2pm in South Hall 202 and on Internet Relay Chat (IRC)*

http://courses.ischool.berkeley.edu/i290m-ocpp/site/information.html

*Course Description :
*This course is a hands-on exploration of the theory and practice of open
online collaboration. Students will engage multi-disciplinary literature
about collaboration while contributing to an existing open project (such as
open source software, Wikipedia, or OpenStreetMap). Readings will explore
business models for open source software organizations, incentives of
cooperation and organization design for open source projects. Practical
work will be organized around themes of project management infrastructure,
community self-governance, and engineering education through open source
participation. The goal of the class is to engage students in an existing
open source community while developing functionality and expertise that can
be part of iSchool Masters projects, faculty-directed research, and beyond.

*Prerequisites* :
Programming skills are not a prerequisite, but programmers are more than
welcome to join. Students will come to the first lecture with an idea of
the open project they want to contribute to, and which problem they want to
address. If possible, a first contact with the community active in the
project should already be established.

*UC Berkeley Open Source Projects Promotion
*
This class promotes contributions by students to UC Berkeley Open Source
Projects. Feel free to contact us at sb at ischool.berkeley.edu to explain
your progress so we can match students with it.