[sudo-discuss] daisy-chaining power supplies in the space

hol at gaskill.com hol at gaskill.com
Wed Feb 6 11:57:10 PST 2013

new project: Outlet-mounted dual ammeter

Feb 6, 2013 11:54:23 AM, rustylindgren at gmail.com wrote:
Hi Steve,
>That  's a good point, but I don  't know if we can afford anything like that.  We could use temporary and easy solutions like extension cords that get unplugged after use.  If someone could help us out professionally, it would be a good all around kind of thing.

>In the meantime, I think it would be smart if we dealt with the following:Make-shift cables and stuff hanging around the space with exposed caps(Copper-oxide, dust, moisture and things like beading can cause a fault-arc on our , untreated, wood floor or other fuel).

Ground everything out.  Not only will we get   'dirty  ' signal, without grounding we will have an increased risk of fire for a couple of reasons(i think arcing is #1).Separate food,  water, chemicals and other products from electronics.

Only use extension cords temporarily.  Read the ratings on our power-strips to see if they can handle the load we are using.Avoid plugging high-drain devices into power-strips that don  't meet the recommended load.

Secondary considerations for changing our behavior include:
Tripping over wires, which can hurt humans and gearPotential for electrocutionAesthetically unpleasingGets in the way of workI  'm willing to donate $100 extra to the space for a proper power-conditioner, and to help ground things out, but these are the things I could think of that would imply liability on our part as a group.

sudo-discuss at lists.sudoroom.org