[sudo-discuss] Help with a senior thesis project studying the effects of the internet on young minds

Anca Mosoiu anca at techliminal.com
Wed Feb 20 19:34:52 PST 2013

Hi everyone,

Meet Kevin.  He's a senior at Met West High School, where they do a senior
thesis project.  Kevin is looking at the effects of the internet on young
people, and how to get them focused more productively.

If you'd like to be interviewed, let me know - we can pick up a time to
invite Kevin to the Sudo room and talk to a few people at once.

I know you have some opinions (and experience...) about this. :)

Here's his proposal summary:

My project idea is to help young people become aware and know what the
internet and technology are doing to the planet and to our brains. Not only
are young people, millennials, wasting their time on the internet with
social networking sties, but they don’t gain anything educational and
useful or for financial benefit while on these sites. One thing they are
losing is time on the internet for social networking and not accomplishing
work or homework with the same effort and competence. We should care
because it is controlling people and just making them spend most of their
time on the sites. Recent studies show that technology is changing how our
brain works; reading, concentration, contemplation and our capacity, which
are also losing the full abilities of the human brain. Since we depend on
technology so much, I want to make people aware of how our brain is being
impacted and find different ways that we can minimize our loss. I want to
tell them that they should use their brain power and time on something that
will help them in the future so they do not lose both of them during the
same time at a young age.
--

Cheers,

Anca.