[sudo-discuss] Arduino current protection code?

hol at gaskill.com hol at gaskill.com
Mon Feb 25 10:24:18 PST 2013

Are you worried about limiting current from arduino pin to servo signal pin or vice versa? Servos have their own controller built in so you shouldn't have to worry about any spikes on the signal pin.  If you were driving motor coils directly, I would add a diode from low side of the coil to Vcc to shunt backward current spikes.  Also, Arduino can only source 40ma of current so if your servo draws more than that you should use a power transistor (ULN2003 has 7 500ma transistors on one dip-16 chip) or maaaaybe gang output pins if you're close but really don't gang output pins.  What are you working on with such heavy duty servos? :)

Cheers,
Hol

Hi all and Jake if you get this,