[sudo-discuss] open thread for update on our door access mechanisms

Steve Berl steveberl at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 10:15:24 PDT 2013

Jake, That's a great idea. We need to figure out what the name of the
device for the arduino keypad controller is and use that instead of the
"try them all in a loop" code we have now.

But really need to go to the root source of the problem, which is why is
the port going away in the first place. Is the Arduino crashing and
resetting itself? Is something on the RaspPi messing with the port? If we
can solve that problem, then things will get much more stable.

Thoughts:

- Arduino might crash randomly if power over USB is marginal. We tried to
run it off of a powered USB hub instead of directly off the RaspPi USB, but
that made things worse, I think because the hub we used is ancient and not
very good. It might be good to try a different powered up?

- Arduino code might have a software bug? I looked at the code, but didn't
see anything obvious like a divide by zero or indexing an array out of
bounds, but more eyes on that code might turn something up.

- If a second process on the RaspPi did an open() on the serial port
already opened by the baron.py process, would that cause the Arduino to
reset? Is there a way to check for this? Are calls to open() logged by the
system someplace?

-steve

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 5:00 AM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:

> a really neat thing about linux these days - i don't know if this will
> work on the pi but when i want to script something involving a USB webcam
> or a USB serial port, instead of referring to it by /dev/ttyACM0 or
> whatever, i look for
> /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Keyspan_**_a_division_of_InnoSys_Inc._**
> Keyspan_USA-19H-if00-port0
>
> you can put that into your thing instead of /dev/ttyUSB0 or whatever, and
> it will always work - no matter what order the serial ports come up in.
>
> i mean not that you took my advice last time...
>
> -jake
>

> max klein wrote:
> keypad update: with new self-healing improvements has just set record
> uptime at 30 hours. i am monitoring this. the problem is that rpi sometimes
> chokes and the arduino comes up as a different usb device. so i constantly
> scan and to find the right usb device. an issue is that the rfid needs to
> be usb0 so it has to grab that first, and normally does in every instance
> ive seen it (unless the pyshical usb order gets switched).

-steve