[sudo-discuss] sudo kids robotics

Hol Gaskill hol at gaskill.com
Wed Jul 17 14:23:23 PDT 2013

this would be a good way to bridge the generations.  i always thought there was way too much age segregation in schools and kids should learn to teach eachother.  anybody know any offhand?

also...subject line

Jul 17, 2013 02:16:28 PM, dis at gruntle.org wrote:
Have you thought about approaching any of the local high school or middle school robotics clubs? I know there are plenty on this side of the bay, I assume east bay schools also have some. Possibly some cool outreach opportunities and getting more kids involved in sudokids?

>-hep
>
>On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Eddan Katz eddan at clear.net> wrote:
>

>+ 1. (though it needs to start early so enough so that it doesn't end late)

>You guys are awesome.
>
>sent from eddan.com
>On Jul 17, 2013, at 1:42 PM, Marina Kukso marina.kukso at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>it may come as no surprise that i support the idea of a sudo kids robotics night 100%. i think we should ask the kids what project they'd like to do. hol, if you're around next tuesday, maybe you can introduce the idea to the kids and together we can frame a realistic project?
>

>- marina
>

>On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 1:35 PM, Hol Gaskill hol at gaskill.com> wrote:
>

>Hi Folks,

Last night went pretty well overall despite not getting my beer machine operational due to disappointing answers to such questions as "how many power cords into power strips into power cords can I connect?" and the ever popular "will the plumbing leak where you least expect it?"  We did have some newbies there working on a robotics project for a school assignment and let me tell you, there's something about the smell of burning servos that just can't be beat.  Overall their objective is to use machine vision as a feedback for actuators, seems pretty cool.  Rabbit and I put together some power hardware to map 4D visualizations to some addressable LED strips for a burning man project.  We did a little probing of the door raspi but couldn't get a rise out of the relevant GPIO pin so I defer to the original system designers, but volunteer to fabricate a plug-in circuit board to streamline the component layout.  Also got some soldering assistance from one of the sudo kids who gravitated t

 oward the table full of wires.

This final point lead me to an idea - I'd like to incorporate a sudokids robotics event once a month.  Open to any and all ideas as to how this would play out, but at minimum we could have them build and compete remote controlled rovers, in both co-op and free for all modes of course.  Let me know if you have any ideas for kid-friendly microcontroller projects.  I'd like to develop this idea and start mid-september.

Happy Hacking,

hol

sudo-discuss at lists.sudoroom.org

sudo-discuss at lists.sudoroom.org