[sudo-discuss] Fwd: I School Announces Master of Information and Data Science

Troy Massey ecoeconomist11 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 17:17:49 PDT 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: AnnaLee Saxenian <news at ischool.berkeley.edu>
Date: Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Subject: I School Announces Master of Information and Data Science
To: ecoeconomist11 at gmail.com

 Email not displaying correctly? View
webpage<http://my.berkeley.edu/site/R?i=G190DvpYR9pDeeRiZ9nQmA>
 [image: Berkeley School of Information]
 [image: datascience at berkeley]

*UC Berkeley School of Information launches Master of Information and Data
Science (MIDS) degree*

Dear Alumni and Friends of the I School,

I am thrilled to share the news that the School of Information is launching
a Master of Information and Data Science (MIDS) degree with the first
cohort of students starting in January 2014. This will be the country’s
first fully online Master of Information and Data Science
(MIDS)<http://my.berkeley.edu/site/R?i=jgDIsKHXfN45z35djKXw-Q>program.

The I School faculty developed this new degree in response to the rapidly
growing need for well-trained professionals who can organize, analyze, and
interpret the deluge of often messy and unorganized data now available from
the web, sensor networks, mobile devices, and elsewhere — often referred to
as “big data.”

The MIDS is a rigorous 27-unit graduate degree aimed at the working
professional. It will combine live, face-to-face classes with interactive,
online course work that can be accessed from anywhere. While the coursework
will be entirely online, all students will also participate in a one-week
immersion in Berkeley that allows them to meet one another and the faculty
as well as to interact with leading data science professionals from the San
Francisco Bay Area.

The program will provide hands-on experience with the diverse tools and
methods for exploring and finding patterns in complicated, real-world data,
and for communicating the findings with decision makers. Just like all
other degree programs at the School of Information, I School faculty will
teach in the program alongside experienced professionals.

If you would like to learn more about the Master of Information and Data
Science program, please visit us
online<http://my.berkeley.edu/site/R?i=oaY1Pim2okA1ZkYYkX_2HA>to
request more information or call 855.678.MIDS.

Sincerely,

Anno Saxenian
Dean, UC Berkeley School of Information

*UC Berkeley School of
Information<http://my.berkeley.edu/site/R?i=5tAeN199Vl1I-GveQsmzCg>
* - 102 South Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720-4600
*Master of Information and Data
Science<http://my.berkeley.edu/site/R?i=Hhgws-DROnfU-aET1JrxBQ>
*
Find us on Facebook
<http://my.berkeley.edu/site/R?i=Zb3xjRPkRqofAEv6tq4_Dw>| Follow
us on Twitter <http://my.berkeley.edu/site/R?i=vzV7g6WeKj5r0uAM2uAPVA>

Update email preferences<http://my.berkeley.edu/site/R?i=WGmWlXzJFPF74jKd2YS_GQ>|
Tell
a friend <http://my.berkeley.edu/site/R?i=GWGrS6IX0zsFbVoZLY3Dwg> |

Sincerely,

Troy Massey
510.383.6117

LIBRARIAN
www.SUDOroom.org
2141 Broadway
Oakland Ca, 94612

PRINT ROOM COORDINATOR
Bay Area Alternative Press
1847 Alcatraz
Berkeley Ca, 94703

COMMUNICATIONS COORDINATOR
www.CommunityDemocracyProject.org

"You are the source of freedom. The price of freedom is awareness and
action."