[sudo-discuss] come do things with sudo kids tuesday at 6:00 + invitation to join sudo kids future direction team

Marina Kukso marina.kukso at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 17:27:03 PDT 2013

hi everyone,

you are once again invited to come do things with the awesome sudo kids
tuesday from 6ish to 8:30ish. want to do a group activity? teach really
brilliant kids something awesome? build a thing with them? help them build
a thing? we've done calligraphy, clay, mate-brewing, piano, radio, and
more. kids have expressed an interest in 3d printing and making videos. if
you want to do either of those things with us (whether tomorrow or sometime
in the future), or have an idea for another thing you'd like to do, be in
touch!

additionally, ray and i have started working on concrete goals and desired
outcomes for the sudo kids program. we are doing this because a hackerspace
without kids is like a diy electronics project without a blinky light -
extremely sad. kids are natural hackers and if our role is to provide the
physical and community infrastructure to encourage people to keep building
and making and learning and exploring things forever, then kids are
naturally part of that equation :) additionally, having activities for kids
is a proven strategy to expanding our community. yes, we are operating from
the principle that if you hook a kid on a thing, that you will eventually
have an opportunity to speak with their parent. the good news is that we
are not selling stuff but selling the idea of making stuff and being in a
community of makers. finally, if you've never done stuff with kids before,
you may find the experience to be really different than what you'd expect
(i know i have). i continue to be extremely impressed and more or less
constantly verklempt at the insight and intelligence of the children we
work with.

so, if you want to help coordinate activities and be a part of the cool
sudo kids organizing/future direction/expanding the program crew, (or are
just interested in learning more about what "helping coordinate sudo kids"
involves - it's not a lot), be in touch via email or just come on a tuesday
night.

- marina