[sudo-discuss] DjNeonLeon's laptops were stolen

Jake jake at spaz.org
Sun Jul 28 17:01:38 PDT 2013

The answer is http://preyproject.com

you can install this free software on your laptop and it hides, amd just
waits.  You create a login on preyproject.com (also free) and if your
laptop goes missing, you log in and tell it to start tracking it!

that means that you can find out what your computer is doing, what network
it's on, and even take pictures through the camera.  If you get really
close, and need to actually locate it, you can make it make a loud noise!

this requires you making your computer usable without a password, which i
recommend to everyone anyway.  If your computer gets stolen and it's
locked with a password, they will simply turn it off and sell it to a pro
who will format the hard drive and sell it.

If your computer is welcoming and without a password, the thief might keep
it around and watch your movies, and connect to the internet at their
house and things like that.  Then you can track it down and get it back,
along with all your precious data.

Now you know.

-jake

Raymond Lai wrote:
So sorry to hear, DJ Neon Leon. I don't know how to track a laptop, but
keep me in the loop.

Ray