[sudo-discuss] Video - Bio-Data, Bioinformatics and the Gears that Make Biological Machines Tick

Ryan Bethencourt ryan.bethencourt at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 00:55:05 PDT 2013

Dear All,

Please find attached a video recording of Ron's talk from earlier
today on: Bio-Data,
Bioinformatics and the Gears that Make Biological Machines Tick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RnpkmgH40o

Sorry for the light quality, we'll try to correct that for the next class

The intersection of biology and computer science is showing tremendous
potential. Literally thousands of data sources great and small are publicly
available now. Come and enjoy a low key introduction to all the 'omes' -
genomes, transcriptomes, proteomes, methylomes, metabolomes, etc. We'll
play with some of the more useful data sources, tools and biological
pathways.

No biology training is necessary - the talk will be accessible to anyone.
Programming skills are useful, but not necessary.

If you have a laptop, please bring it. We will try to look at data in the
class and preview a couple of tools.

Cygwin on windows machines, OsX or linux are useful here, but we can go
over these at the time if needed.

We will be designing a project for anyone who wants to go deeper and get
more experience with Bioinformatics.
Ron Shigeta PhD has been doing bioinformatics for 12 years in biotech in
the east bay, before that he made biological information as a protein
crystallographer.!

--
Ryan Bethencourt

Tel: (415) 825 2705