[sudo-discuss] [HELP] Oak Tech teacher requests space 6hrs/1x/month **starting Sunday**

William Budington bill at inputoutput.io
Mon Oct 14 14:11:46 PDT 2013

I don't want to assume ill intent of the teacher herself, and I don't want to assume she is trying to mislead us.  I think that the avenues of funding are extremely limited for Oakland's public schools, and meanwhile the USAF and Northrop Grumman are all too eager to find desperate youth and offer them a 'future' that turns them into killing machines.  But we may have an actual opportunity to talk to the teacher and offer her some alternatives for the students, and actually wrench such an event from the hands of the military industrial complex.  Wouldn't it be beautiful if we had a fundraiser for youth from this school that want to work on cool hacking projects (Oakland Wiki?)

I think there are a multitude of ways to create an alternative event for these kids, in a way that doesn't say to the teacher "flip off we don't want your event here" but actually has a positive spin that cuts the USAF out of the loop.  We've actually already been talking about creating a Sudo-Teens, and I think this would perfectly riff off of that project.  As it happens, my partner actually works for OUSD and is in a unique position to bridge our goals and theirs, and will be getting in contact with the teacher herself to propose alternatives.  What do you all think?