[sudo-discuss] "Free as in sexist?" Free Culture and the Gender Gap

Mike Schachter mschachter at eigenminds.com
Mon Oct 28 13:13:00 PDT 2013

Thanks Jenny, I really liked that article. One of the things that struck a
chord with me was how aggressiveness and defensiveness are encouraged in
the programming community as positive traits, but also serve to discourage
many prospective members from joining that community.

I would associate that sort of aggressiveness, which I've both exhibited
and experienced, with "Moral Anger", a feeling that I was Right and that
people's opinions were wrong because they did not agree. It's a very
motivating emotion that compels me to try and convince someone of my
opinions, usually by raising my voice and bringing up emotionally jarring
rationale behind why I am right. If through this I compel people to either
agree or leave the discussion, it ultimately makes me think I "won",
probably boosting my testosterone levels - a nasty positive feedback loop.
I consider it a bug, not a feature, of my brain.

The one night I was at sudo room for a weekly meeting, I was impressed by
what I perceived from a female sudo member as actively choosing to not
engage in argumentative discussion, and discouraging the playing of devil's
advocate by another member. It was eye-opening and heartening to see
someone actively choose not to escalate the discussion, and instead look
for a more productive means of conversation.

I've seen so often that conversations about simple things quickly turn to
heated arguments where anger plays a dominant role in communication. Is
there any mode of thought or movement out there to actively reduce the role
of anger in discussions and compromise? Certainly people would benefit from
such a change in mentality. Perhaps emphasizing the role of understanding
and compassion in place of anger and argument, especially by people who
typically focus on the latter, would be progress in that direction.

 mike