[sudo-discuss] [consensus] Nominations for Board of Directors

Naomi Most pnaomi at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 17:29:10 PDT 2013

The stubborn and nitpicky readers of contracts are actually part of
"strong, benevolent personalities".

The dichotomy is between people who are genuinely concerned for the
well-being of the community AND who have time/energy to be present in
it, and those who seek just to use the space and/or the people in it
without concern for social harmony or long-term maintenance.

Rhetoric doesn't perform the "work" of community, not nearly as much
as the act of being physically present in a space.

When those who are unenculturated and those who are malevolent to the
health of the community are physically present more than the
benevolent, the culture sours.  No matter how good your Articles were
or are.  There's always a way to subvert a written document; all you
have to do is convince enough people in your midst that certain words
matter more than other words.

What I've come to believe is that you can use hierarchical structures
to reinforce the culture you want.

If something happens, like the original group of cultural leaders
decides to take on a big project in Antarctica for half a year, you
are susceptible to major cultural swings.  What you want is for there
to be a minimal vacuum when any strong personality decides to leave.

I'm (again) speaking through the lens of what I saw happen at
Noisebridge, and what is still currently the case there.

If you want Sudo Room to grow past (say) 150 people, you have to see
the work of culture as real work, that requires a real strategy.

We would all love, of course, for there to be no work in
enculturation.  But we live in America, not pre-civilization Inuit
Alaska.

--Naomi

--
Naomi Theora Most